iTunes 7, Movies and a Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Heart Break Kid, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

I have not bought a movie off the iTS just yet. Most of the movies I would have bought off the store, I already own the dvd to. My question is as follows: Can I load divx files of movies that I already own into iTunes? i.e. rip a dvd and stick it in iTunes (commercial / home movies etc.)

What file types can iTunes 7 handle with regards to video?

Can I add box art to movies that are ripped. If so, how?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

ok i don't necessarily have a great answer for any of your questions. i tried importing .avi files to iTunes but it didn't work. i had to convert them to .mov or .mpeg using QuickTime Pro. if you have QT Pro, try this. otherwise, maybe there's a freeware app that does this.

i think iTunes will only play .mov or .mpeg files.

i tried modifying the box art on the movies i imported but it wouldn't let me. right now it's using the first frame of the video as the box art. doesn't really bother me but maybe someone out there has a fix for it.

3. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok - Rather than converting the entire divx file into an mp4 or mov file, I used QTP to save as feature and saved as a reference file. I then imported the reference into iTunes. This seems to work. I cant find a work around for the cover art though. I like to have everything looking nice and organized.

I also don't know how to edit the "description" category for movies. Some help here would be appreciated

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i'm glad you figured out how to get the videos into iTunes. unfortunately, i cannot seem to find a way to edit the "description" category but i do know you can prevent that from showing up (like you can add file size, equalizer, play count, etc. to the list of what's displayed) - just uncheck "description" from that drop down menu.

5. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok. I figured out how to add artwork. There is no easy way to do this....but what I did was...I had to re-rip the movies into mp4 format. Once I did that...then iTunes would let me add cover art.

On a side note. Does anyone have a good dvd box cover for home movies?