iTunes 7 out of control...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spencecb, Oct 19, 2006.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Hey everyone. I posted a thread the other day under OS X Applications, but have not received any feedback yet...

Here is the situation. I have an iMac G5 running OS X 10.4.8 and iTunes 7.0.1...iTunes is no longer functioning. It crashes like crazy, I can't even play any music file without it crashing. It has gotten progressively worse since two nites ago when this started.

I have tried repairing permissions, and have booted into the install DVD to repair my hard drive, and no errors were reported.

I deleted iTunes, along with the preferences and receipts it creates from my library. Re-installing the app did nothing. In fact, this is when it became even worse, crashing within seconds of the app starting up.

Anyone know what else I can do?

I tried calling my local Apple Store (which isn't that local...it is an hour away) and they told me the only way I can get free support on this issue is if I bring my Mac down to the store. I just don't have the time to do things like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Did you try deleting the iTunes database too? (located in music>iTunes or something like that)

3. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I'm not sure what you mean by the iTunes database. If you are referring to the file located in the iTunes music folder names "iTunes Library," that file simply keeps track of play counts, ratings, etc. I do not believe this file would have anything to do with the fact that iTunes 7 is repeatedly crashing for no apparent reason.

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Files can do strange things when corrupt. It's worth a shot.

5. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Will I lose all of my data for my library when I delete this file? I believe so, correct?

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

In the iTunes folder, there is a data file called iTunes Library. Delete this file.No it won't mess with what's in your iTunes library, but it will reset play counts and other stuff of that nature.

7. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

But could this file really be causing all of the crashes? It would seem to me that that specific file would have to become corrupt for this to be happening. Wouldn't the repair permissions and repair hard drive tests I did correct any file corruption?