iTunes 7 Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stridder44, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I've used iTunes 7 before on my Mac, but just recently (over the past couple of days) it won't open due to "The iTunes application could not be opened. There is not enough memory available." It shows the "loading iTunes library" message and then tells gives me the memory message. Restarts/shutdowns do nothing. Anyone else having this problem?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have any plug ins or add ons for iTunes installed? :)

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I have a completely separate issue, but an issue with iTunes nonetheless. I cant seem to global deauthorize. It's been removed from the options. :(

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This is form the Advanced menu, right? Is the option greyed out or completely missing?

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It's in the 'Store' menu. I believe that to globally deauthorize you must go to the iTunes Store itself.

6. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

So just a quick followup: I fixed it. I just d/l'd iTunes again and reinstalled it and it works again. :confused:

7. rodolpheg macrumors newbie

Hi !

I'm having the same problem than you Stridder44. Everything was working fine until yesterday, for no reason (apparently), I start getting the "not enough memory" message. While I have 500+ meg free...

Anyway, how to uninstall itunes 7? I haven't even been able to do it (I just put the app in the trash).

Also, did you lose your cover art or tags in the process?

Thanks for your help! ;)

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

On a Mac you can uninstall iTunes without losing your songs or their accompanying data. Just drag iTunes to the Trash (as you did), along with iTunes.pkg (use Spotlight to find this one, it's in a folder named Receipts) and then redownload and reinstall it. :)

9. rodolpheg macrumors newbie

Thanks Mad jew ! But same thing... These files are in the trash and itunes 7 installer still says the program is already installed :confused:

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Then downgrade to iTunes 6 (or whatever version you prefer) here

Or if you own a pc, here

If you owned a PC, the next step would be obvious. go into the C:\ drive, and find the itunes files and put em in the trash. (I think thats the ONE advantage windows has over Mac OS)

But, I only own an iMac G3 and earlier, so I wouldnt know what to do next. (Getting mac mini soon:) )

11. rodolpheg macrumors newbie

I own a imac. I'll try downgrading to itunes6 tonight... hopefully my newer covers will stay there. cheers! :)

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, maybe look up iTunes and pkg in Spotlight and drag all the receipts to the Trash. :)

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Wait a minute...

Do you have a Mac with only ~500 MB free on your boot disk (the hard drive the system is running from)?

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I think someone already said this, but just reinstall iTunes 7. It's a pain in the ass that that's the solution, but iTunes 7 is such a memory hog. I really wish Apple would slim down the program...

He's talking about the amount of memory he has left.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

How do you know that for sure...? I was just asking to rule that out... as this has been the cause of problems in the past... ;)

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Because he's talking about receiving the 'Out of Memory' warning from iTunes. He wouldn't even be able to be running the computer if he had that little space on the hard drive considering all the crap Mac OS X creates during use.

17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Mac OS X will run, but very, very poorly, with amazingly little HD space left... and it should give you out of memory messages when it no longer finds room on the disk for virtual memory...