iTunes 7, RAM hog.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HungrySeacow, Sep 12, 2006.

1. HungrySeacow macrumors regular

Anyone else notice just how bad this is? I have 2GBs of ram which is generally considered a lot to most users and iTunes 7 keeps working on eating the whole thing :p. Even more sad, quit iTunes and you don't get your memory back. Bad Apple... Bad.. :p

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Forgive me for saying this, but did you CMD + Quit iTunes? I watched two things and then quit in iTunes and I got my RAM back, and I have the same amount as you. :confused:

If you did, try reinstalling.

3. Azmordean macrumors 6502

As I sit here, iTunes 7 is currently using 56 MB of RAM. I'd try reinstalling it if I were you. Granted I just downloaded it, but so far I have no problems with it!

4. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Hmm i get low 30's in ram for itunes 7. doesnt seem that bad

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'm having this same issue right now. I'm going to see if a re-install will help.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I got iTunes back through a re-install. We'll see what happens now when I quit and re-open.

Came back upon launch again. So maybe it was just an odd install. I hope it was.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

137 megs or RAM is being used right now... That's a lot. This is on XP with just 500 songs.

9. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

The spike comes from browsing your music's artwork.

I opened it up and it ran at 27 megs (3,600 song library, FYI). Then I started browsing my artwork (making sure each album cover loaded), and it spiked to 500 megs.

'Tis the price we pay for aesthetics.

10. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

My ram use is mid 60 mbs at start up, dropping to low 50s when I start to listen to something.(7500+ songs, mac mini ppc 1.42, 1GB ram) It does climb when spinning through the covers. The more covers looked at, the more it "remembers." I keep the covers to around 10kb each though. Maybe if you have some big image files in there, ram use might get really out of hand..