iTunes 7 Skipping Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GodBless, Oct 3, 2006.

1. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

When I play songs in iTunes 7.0.1 I have noticed that the songs occasionally don't play smoothly but
    once in a while skip. I didn't notice this problem in 7.0 but it could have been there. Does anyone else have this problem?

(By the way I am using a PowerPC Mac.)

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I've been having a problem streaming some radio stations (but not all) to an Airport Express. It alternates between choppy and sped-up audio on some stations. I think this began with iTunes 7.0, but I'm not quite certain about that. There's been some reports of this on the apple AE discussion forums too, but no fix yet, as far as I know.

Anyway, this may or may not be related to your problem. I've also noticed that this problem only occurs when streaming those stations to the Express, and not when playing them through my computer speakers.

3. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

That's too bad -- but no it's not my problem. A song that I play will occasionally skip from me just plainly playing songs in my library and listening to them on my built-in iBook G4 speakers.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mine aren't skipping. Are they the same tracks each time? Do they play normally in QuickTime? :)

5. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

There is nothing wrong with the .mp3 files, I am 100% sure that it is iTunes playback ability because I rewind the songs and they play just fine -- it's just that occasionally there will be a "bump" in the playback. Hopefully Apple will fix this bug in iTunes 7.0.2. Since I didn't notice the problem with 7.0 I am hoping this problem is only new to 7.0.1. iTunes 7 has enough problems this problem just adds to the mischief. :(

On the bright side, at least I can play music on my computer at all with a well designed jukebox application even if it has gotten a little worse recently. :)

6. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Yes, indeed, I've just noticed this for me as well. On a 2.0 Ghz MacBook. It seems that there is a brief skip about 2 or 3 seconds into many songs. It is not entirely consistent... The files are definitely not buggered - they play fine when I play them alone. When I'm just playing the party shuffle, it seems that a few seconds into most tracks there is a brief skip - very annoying...

7. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

I am experiencing the same problem and it's driving me nuts.

8. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Problem Solved! - or at least answered...

Problem Solved! - or at least answered...

So, I happened to be in my dashboard as my party shuffle brought up the next song... Who do I notice - the widget "Harmonic" causes a tiny skip in the song if/when it finds lyrics to a new song. (presumably because it is adding the lyrics to the song file...). So that's it for me. I'd be willing to be that's it for many other people as well. As hormonic learns the songs, it no longer makes the songs skip - just when it finds new lyrics.

I hope this solves a few problems out there!

9. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

I don't have that Widget so I know that it isn't a problem for me however maybe iTunes 7 is more easily effected by external applications and processes due to the modified programming since iTunes 6. Thanks for the info.