iTunes 7 very unstable

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by philatkin, Sep 12, 2006.

1. philatkin macrumors newbie

My machine is a G4 iBook, under a year old, iTunes 7 crashes every time I play music, always about 2 seconds into the second song. Does this irrespective of whether cross fade is turned on. I am using Airtunes, which may be causing the problem.

I would recommend not upgrading at this time.

2. Groovey macrumors member

Hmm... Weird. I'm on my iBook G4/800 and it's work quick and fine. Though it surely doesn't look as good as 6. Not even near.

3. Queso macrumors G4

philatkin, have you installed the associated QuickTime update now available in Software Update?

4. philatkin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, and it's not Airtunes, the same thing happened playing over the computer speakers. Very frustrating, this Mac is my only source of music in the house now, having filed all my CDs in the garage after ripping them.

5. lime53 macrumors newbie

Same problem, different mac. It seems to be doing this reguardless of playback settings. I'm desperate to find a fix though. At first, I didn't have the newest version of quicktime but I updated that and still the problem persists. I've even tried reinstalling iTunes 7, trashing prefs, trashing music library, etc... and nothing seems to help. It does it whether its mp3's that I ripped on my own or AAC from iTunes music store. I too must recommend holding off until it's been fixed.

PBook G4 1.5

Update:
    Also exhibits this behavior when attempting to play cd's

6. lime53 macrumors newbie

Fix

Ok gents, I found the solution to my problem. I only had one plugin and it was a vis plugin. It wasn't activated, but I figured what the heck? So, I trashed it and now playback is functioning flawlessly.

iTunes plugin folder: [home]/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins
    also check: [root]/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins

Just try dragging all installed plugins to the desktop and see if that fixes the problem.

PBook G4 1.5

7. exsanguinate macrumors member

Having the same problem with my Macbook Pro. Frequent crashing to the point it's not worthwhile to use iTunes.

It was fine before I installed the Frontrow update... could also have been the Quicktime update that did it, I installed them together. I updated iTunes manually by downloading it from the site.

Sigh.

Edit: I appear to have no plugins in those folders as mentioned in the above post.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

9. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

mac mini ppc--A OK

i like how it looks

seems more functional

10. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Interesting- my MBP is fine and I have no pluggins either, the only difference is that I downloaded and installed all the updates at once, which could somehow make the difference. Have you sorted it out yet? You may want to try installing through software update- no idea why it would help but its at least something to try.

11. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

12. TheSailerMan macrumors member

The first time I updated my iPod with iTunes 7, it crashed, and when I tried to reopen it, the icon bounced in the dock once, then stopped, but never opened.:mad:

I ended up reinstalling it, and now it works fine!:)

13. RabidMonkey macrumors newbie

Same problem - solved it

I had the same prob, would crash as soon as I tried to play a song. I had a plug-in installed called OSS3D. I uninstalled it, restarted iTunes. Worked without fail now.

14. philatkin thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - killing all my visualizer plug-ins fixed matters.

cheers

Phil

15. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

I've had the same problem. iTunes 7 has crashed 5 times so far. I was importing some new CDs while listening to my library and as soon as I do one more thing (open music store, transfer songs to iPod) it crashes. What do I do? I have no plug-ins, quicktime is 7.1.3.

16. reubs macrumors 68000

Same problems. One CD got imported, then itunes crashed. Tried importing another one...import stalled and we got a crash. No plug-ins, and I've installed all the updates (sans the fan firmware b/c I don't want to mess up something that's working fine anyway...) in the software update.

17. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

So far I've been fine, but I haven't tried importing any cds (don't have any to import). I think, though, in order for everyone on this forum to help diagnose these problems, that everyone needs to provide some details on their systems.

So, I am on a macbook (1.83ghz), 10.4.7, 1gb ram.

Let's see if there's a pattern or if these are isolated/related some other software issues.

18. needthephone macrumors 6502a

To see what the world is saying about itunes 7 try doing a Google search of itunes 7 in Google News....

There should be a thread saying when its safe to download as I'm thankfull I haven't yet. It does promise to be good when its fixed.

19. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

Small update: iTunes 7 works fine when I am under a normal processor load but it seems to only crash under high loads. Still, it shouldn't crash at all. It hasn't crashed for a couple days so I'm happy now.

I'm on a PowerBookG4 1.5GHz 15"

20. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Yea but even in one of the google news items they admitted they couldn't re-create the problem.
    So, again: if you believe itunes 7 is actually unstable, post what your setup is so we can try to piece together if it's an across the board instability or specific to certain characteristics. It's not uncommon for certain computers or models to have had problems, it's happened before. IIRC, Apple isn't shy about pulling faulty updates, remember that one Jaguar update that sent everything into a wacky tailspin? But in that case it was an easily reproducable problem, and people communicated to determine what had happened.
    Posting "it's not working" isn't helpful because:
    a) the incredibly smart computer people on these boards will not be able to help you if they don't know your setup (and in that case you're stuck with me. and trust me, you want the people who can help to start jumping in.)
    b) the only way to get the attention to make a change is if you provide the information necessary to determine the initial problem. Otherwise you're just spreading fear and uncertainty without being productive towards a solution.

21. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I installed iTunes 7 on my machine with Windows XP Home (please don't hate...I am a Mac user as well).

The installation took a really long time and it looked like it was repeating processes over and over.

When I opened iTunes 7 first, it started doing the gapless thing. I didn't want to do that because I wasn't exactly sure what it would do, so I hit the X in the beige playback area. Then it started back up by itself so I let it finish.

I noticed that several of my songs and videos had exclamation points next to them. Some were purchased from Apple, some were not.

I e-mailed Apple and they have put every song and video I ever purchased in my queue. They didn't comment on the fact that some of the missing files were not ones I purchased though.

I've also had an issue where the sound occasionally gets really garbled and I have to quit iTunes and restart. And then I had one time where I had iTunes muted but the speakers started making a popping sound (like popcorn) and when I quit iTunes the speakers stopped that noise.

So, that's my iTunes 7 horror story. I've told everyone I care about not to download it.

22. 73datsun macrumors newbie

1.5GHZ PB G4 512 MB Ram, 10.4.7 all software up to date.

I have run disc utilities and repaired permissions all to no avail.

I can play iTunes and that is it. If I open a Safari window, iTunes crashes. If I already have Safari open and have iTunes going in the background and then use Expose to select a Safari window, iTunes crashes.

This kind of bites, I feel like I am back on a Windoze machine. :rolleyes:

edit: Oh and also; when importing CD's I am pulling them in at 2-3.2x vs 8-9x+ before.

23. barnacle macrumors regular

barnacle

i downloaed itunes 7 onto a dell laptop. my only problems have been while ripping cd's it is half as slow as with itunes 6. also,, altho i don't use ituns as a music player, i listen to songs as i do other things{rip, move, update ect.} and i notice some skipping? i assume the fix will be soon released?

edit: twice as slow,, half as fast,, you know what i mean.

24. sybh macrumors newbie

I also have problems with the new Itunes 7(.4.1 and .3.1)... I'm running Windows XP (& office 2003) and most of my music is on a external (firewire) harddrive. When opening Itunes it is no problem adding files to the library but when he is checking 'the gapless thing' or other stuff like adding covers it suddenly and automatically starts rebooting my computer. I have no clue whatsoever what the problem could be... Any suggestions?