iTunes 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Camille, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Camille macrumors regular

When will we have iTunes 7???
    I want some new features like lyrics displayed in a window and NOT in the info window (so ugly...), browse albums by artwork, 3d if possible like cover flow...
    What's your wish list, and when do u think itunes 7 will come out??
    Thanks!

(itunes 6 has come out in october 12 2005!)

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No one knows.. if I had to venture a guess.. sometime around Leopard's release.
    Possibly requiring Leopard.

3. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I would imageing before the MacWorld expo in January. Becuase iLife '07 will be out, so everything will be "7.0" IE, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and iWeb 2.0. And normaly iTunes is updated before the new iLife. So maybe around Paris? If they annouce movie downlaod in iTunes.

4. Camille thread starter macrumors regular

What do u mean around paris?
    U mean around the apple expo, in paris?

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not really, iLife '05 included iTunes 4.something, it then went to iTunes 5 with the release of the nano and then iTunes 6 with the 5G iPod just over a month later. Maybe you're right and they're getting everything in line, but then, iTunes wasn't a part of iLife '06. Apple figure they offer it as a free download so there's no reason for it to be on the disc.

6. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Yes. The Paris Expo.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Now that would suprise me, given that a version for Windows XP would also have to be made available since most iPods are used with that.

That's not to say that some features might not be much better under Leopard than other platforms...

B

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I do wonder whether at some point Apple will introduce some cool Mac-only features for iPods that are worth talking about (other than the iCal/Contacts that we had before one of the recent updates that extended the facility to Outlook)? And start leveraging all those tentative potential switchers who love their iPods and want to use ALL their features?

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iTunes opens on my 1.2GHz G4 iBook in a third of the time it takes to open on my Father's whizz-bang 1.8GHz Pentium-M laptop.

As a Mac-only feature, it's good enough for me.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I tend to doubt it, but I have been known to be wrong before. ;)

Like the example you gave, they might add features to the Mac first and/or streamline them for the Mac, but if they don't add them to the PC (meaning XP, not Vista) versions other developers will. I was using iPodSync to get my contacts and calendar on the iPod before I bought my iBook and iTunes didn't support that feature under Windows...

B

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

CONJECTURE:

Not necessarily true. The functionality of iTunes 7 could be the same, but new bells and/or whistles.

Perhaps the new iTunes has some sort of beefed up graphical component that is only compatible with Leopard's Core Animation. No dice on installing iTunes 7 if you're using Tiger or WinXP. It only works in Leopard and/Vista.

Yes, it's a stretch. A very, very, very long stretch.
    And I wasn't serious when I said it.. but since the OP asked a rather ridiculous question:ridiculous answer.

:)

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's what I meant by
    ;)

It's a stretch, but I think I could live without a new CoreAnimation based visualizers or minor features like that.

We'll see in a few weeks when the iPhone sees the light of day if there are any key features that are Mac specific... (How's that for wishful thinking?)

B

13. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

If I had to guess, I would say that iTunes 7 will come with a full movie store and will be released when the real video iPod is released. As the movie studios have been dragging their feet for ages on it, that could be anytime.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Huh?

You actually expected me to read your post? :D

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Pure speculation: Another possibility is that the release of the true video iPod and Movie store might actually lead to the end of iTunes as library for all media. (Particularly if the Movie store ends up using a subscription model as has been rumored.) We might end up with a new library app that would remove the "Tunes" name.

B

16. rowanhall macrumors member

i would like custom highlights for tracks in the library, much in the same way you can highlight in mail. for example, everything on my ipod in blue, podcasts green, etc etc! i know you can look in a playlist, but i'd like to see the bigger picture with all the other tracks around it! can things like that be scripted??

Rowan

17. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Exactly. If people want to use it in Windows let them suffer its their fault! :D

18. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Whenever we see the 6th gen iPods it's likely that iTunes 7 will be announced with that. I don't think it will be at the Paris Expo but who knows.

19. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Indeed, on every Windows machine I've used iTunes on, it's significantly slower. Then again, iTunes/Quicktime aren't exactly Windows friendly apps to begin with.

I'd say the fact that Apple killed "scroll to here" in iTunes on Windows is rather atrocious. I use that feature as default scrolling in both Windows and Mac OS X, and iTunes is one of those programs that really benefits from it.

The only thing I want from iTunes 7 is better video integration -- there's not much else that iTunes can do without becoming bloatware. I suppose that I'd also like to see an album artwork UI that is similar to the Videos section.

20. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Gapless playback already!

I want real gapless playback, none of that "almost gapless but still 0.01 second of gap" problem on the computer and "you can't really have gapless on iPod unless you use cross-fading".

I also want real gapless playback that doesn't destroy the tracks in the process. If I rip tracks 1,2 and 3 as gapless, I want to still be able to jump to track 2 (the real track 2, not the one "previously known as track 4"). I don't care if it means tracks 1,2 and 3 are merged into a single file (like now), just keep the real track numbers and add "track start/end" tags inside the merged file (there's already tags for "start/end", just add one set of tag per track... or maybe even just "start, next start, next start, end" or something...)

21. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I wouldnt be surprised if this is what happens, iTunes has been great for sorting music, but its video side is a bit slow and not really as effective as I think it could be, maybe a convergence of iTunes (for music) iPhoto and a something more video oriented into a single media management app?

22. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I want an entirely separate library for movies, organised in different folders and displayed as it's own library.

In-fact who reckons a separate app would be better?

23. Camille thread starter macrumors regular

ME!!!!
    U could have an app with music videos, tv shows, your imovies, your riped dvds, your bought movies on the movie store, and trailers integrated in the app.

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like Front Row (except for the ripped DVDs)...

B

25. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

personally, I would like a seperate app as well, but I think there is a lot of space to integrate such a app (or for a matter a media manager) or at leasts its basics into the finder. Either way a movie manager should also be integrated with iSync and effectively then the ipod.