Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fixedgarber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Since the most recent update of iTunes 8 my itunes has been acting up constantly. I have around 215GB so I get extremely nervous when things start acting screwy. I have all my music on an external drive which creates some confusion within the app sometimes as well.
ANYWAYS after the download my music was all there in itunes but always showed the famous "!". I consolidated my library many times and did everything I could including replacing the "itunes library" file with a previous library file and all that stuff. It would work for a little bit then mess up again. I eventually decided to take it to the mac store cause I didnt want to mess things up more. The "genius bar" told me to delete everything and then reimport my music in. I explained that I have been making playlist for years and wanted to do everything to avoid losing my song info such as playcounts and all my playlists. He didnt think it was possible. It still amazes me how little they know for being paid to work at the "genius bar", not to mention how frustrating it was to wait in a long line behind people who couldnt figure out how to turn on their ipod or iphone!!
When I got back and plugged everything back in my itunes wouldnt even load it said something like error 13026 so I looked it up here and was told to delete the genius file from the itunes folder. SO SIMPLE.
Thank you to all that saved me from losing all my playlists, playcounts etc!!!
I cant express my frustration with apple, who keeps getting major issues wrong with their products and software just to deliver small useless novelties. sorry for being blunt but this whole situation has got me very irritated.
Anyways if anyone has been experiencing similar difficulties I hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.