iTunes 8 Now Removing Old Apps from Computer After Upgrading

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chisoxbull, Sep 10, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I just noticed as I went to empty my trash that all 5 of the programs that I updated today using iTunes 8 have thier respective old version in my trash bin! Does anyone else notice this? Maybe I missed someone talking about this.

Corey

2. macrumors newbie

thechad003

i noticed this to with a app that updated! there was one in the recycle bin weird but whatever

3. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You should be able to download them again, since the prompt "you've already purchased this item from iTunes... would you like to purchase it again?" will show up. You won't be charged again...:eek:

4. macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I think he means the extra old versions that used to be installed were moved to the trash just leaving the new updated version. The x1.ipa, x2.ipa, x3,ipa were deleted.

OP - correct me if I'm wrong about what you meant. I will now be looking for this when I get me next update.

5. macrumors 65816

I noticed the same thing and happy with this feature.

6. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Excellent. This is how ALL software (on all computers) should work. If something is over-written (in any situation) the over-written file should go to the trash.

The fact that this is rarely the case is maddening. Good to see iTunes is at least doing it this way now.

7. macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Bad news is it won't remove them until they get an update :(

Also how about those damn .tmp files under your iTunes folder, what's the deal with those suckers.

8. macrumors 6502

I wanted this as well, up until Bloomberg updated their stock app with ads built in. Downgrading makes me see the utility in keeping at least the previous version there. It is nice not to have extras on your computer, but keeping the most previous app version would be preferable.

9. macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

You can make a backup copy of the app, that way you can always go back.

10. macrumors 65816

Rojo

I can see why that would be useful sometimes, but I would still rather do without the multitude of previous versions building up over time.

Maybe if old versions were moved to an old apps folder, which could then be set to automatically delete any file after a preset number of days (or never, if you so desire).

Yeah, but who wants to do that every time you update an app, just in case you might want it later?

11. macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I like your idea of giving people the option to control if/when old apps versions are deleted. Seems like it would be a simple thing imo.

12. macrumors 6502a

Maybe I misunderstood, but isn't that effectively what iTunes is doing - moving old apps to the Trash, which you can empty if/when you want (or not at all).

13. thread starter macrumors member

You were correct. I was referring to the old versions. This will prevent a very larger mobile apps folder in the future.

14. macrumors 6502

Rather than add yet another option to iTunes (i.e. option for keeping the old version for a period of time), it doesn't seem like a big deal to keep just the single previous version until an update. That way you only ever have two versions of an app. This can also be useful if the new one corrupts, and the older one was already trashed (with the method used now). If the apps do get large in the future, they probably won't get large enough to really matter, considering how large HDD's are now.

Although, adding an option in iTunes to revert to the previous version would be fine too I guess (it just seems to me iTunes has become so disorganized with options in the last couple years).