iTunes & a DATA DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gallagb, Apr 26, 2005.

1. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

can u use iTunes (on a machine w/ a superdrive) to create a data DVD? -- ie, if i wanted to take my entire classical collection and have itunes automatically pop it onto a DVD (data not music or whatever--so an mp3/aac DVD) - could i? - i know i can do this w/a data CD and itunes... what do u think?

(i'm runnin a machine that doesn't have a superdrive- however i might have access to one if i wanted to use my external drive to transport the files...etc and then burn them onto the DVD-- however, since this isn't a 'full' backup- i'm curious if i can just take one genre or playlist and back that up on dvd)

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Absolutely.

iTunes -> Prefernences -> Burning -> Data CD or DVD

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, you can... just got iTunes to recognice a LaCie d2 dvd-burner, and when I added a blank dvd the "Data CD" option in iTunes preferences -> Burning changed to "Data CD or DVD"...

Edit: Beaten well and good... had to test first... ;)

4. gallagb thread starter macrumors 6502

gallagb

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

FYI, I back-up my iTunes library on DVD this way. I can squeeze right around 1,100 songs per 4.7GB DVD, using a Lacie FW400 12x external burner. These are the "standard" 128kbps AAC compressed files. Your mileage may vary. It takes only about ten minutes to burn each DVD.

Also, remember to use the "Add Songs to Library" menu item to add already-compressed songs, do not use the "Import" button.