iTunes AAC Audio Compression?When?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swahilibill, Feb 11, 2003.

1. swahilibill macrumors 6502

I have heard that AAC compresses Mp3s into smaller, but just as good sound quality Mp4s, is this true? If this is true, what would the amount of songs in ratio be to what can fit on the 5 GB iPod now and then what can fit with AAC. If Apple incorporates this, when might we see this awesome stuff. The reason I ask is that I am so close to fillin up my iPod and I got no money to buy a new one, and I dearly love all of my music. Thanks in advance!!!

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

3. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I would guess that MP4 Audio is covered under the MP4 codec licensing. If so, then you would still proably be required to have QT Pro or Apple would have to absorb the costs of codec licensing. That was the reasoning behind QT 6 Pro being a paid upgrade for QT 5 Pro users.

4. Macpoops macrumors 6502

AAC is what you call MP4. Mpeg4 or mp4 uses AAC to encode the audio track accompanying the video. Mp3 stands for Mpeg 1 layer 3. Encoding MP3s into AAC would result in a loss of quality, because it is a copy of a copy. If you want to do it go right a head you'll get smaller files along with a loss in quality. Going directly from the CD you would get both smaller files and better quality

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I am betting that the reason we do not have AAC encoding yet, is this: if I have a 5GB iPod, (which I do) and all of a sudden, my music library only takes up half as much space, why would I upgrade to a 10GB iPod? I really do think that this is the reason it has taken so long to get here. They need to sell more of the expensive iPods first.

My 2¢

Regards,
    Gus

6. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

AAC Audio

i was bored a few days ago so i went lookinf in the package contents of iTunes and i found this file which was for AAC Audio. i dunno why.

7. swahilibill thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: AAC Audio

So what does this mean?

8. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

You can already play AAC encoded .mp4 files in iTunes, you just can't encode them using iTunes, or play them on the iPod. There are several apps on versiontracker.com that'll take a CD and encode it to mp4, assuming you have QuickTime Pro. After they're encoded, they'll play just fine in iTunes.

And I somewhat agree about the "holding out on AAC to sell more iPods now." I've got an original 5 GB model, and way more than 5 GB of mp3's. The only way I'll get a new iPod though, is if it's a lot larger, and supports .mp4. I don't wanna encode my whole collection to .mp4 if I'm only gonna get maybe 100 more songs on my iPod. Hence the waiting for a larger model to support it.

Whatever Apple's reasoning about delaying it for so long, I just hope they release it soon.

And I have a feeling iTunes 4 might be a pay upgrade. Either that, or to encode in .mp4, you'd have to buy QuickTime Pro first. But if they charge about 20 bucks, maybe even 30 for iTunes 4, and it allows me to encode ALL of my CD's to .mp4 and fit em all on my iPod, I'll gladly pay the 30 dollars.

enoch

9. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

i know this is just trivial, but would the ipod have to have a firmware upgrade to play aac audio?

Also i think that itunes would lose huge appeal if it had to be paid for, not everybody wants aac..

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the whole point of upgradeable firmware is that the iPod will have support for future encoding technologies, and i think this would fall under that category...

they'll never charge for iTunes, and i doubt they'd charge for mp4 capability in iTunes/iPod...

pnw

11. Bear macrumors G3

Maybe it will be an add on option for AAC. Either you need Quicktime Pro or you need to buy an AAC encoding option for iTunes.

I'm not sure I want to go through my CD collection again for a new encoding. I could see doing new CDs that I buy in AAC (when that option is available.) And maybe, just maybe over time, going through and re-encoding my CD collection.

12. cubist macrumors 68020

Question on the firmware, doesn't the iPod load its software from the hard drive? I thought someone mentioned this somewhere before... they mounted the iPod as a drive and saw files...

BTW is it possible to replace the iPod's battery? I mean does someone have them? They may last years but that's a short time in Mac terms. I have a Newton that I still use. Maybe someday an iPod could replace it.

13. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

iTunes has AAC Audio capabilities but not an encoder. i also have qt pro and tried converting a few mp3 to mp4 and iTunes recognized them as qt movie files. it played them, but very sketchy. and about the iPod they would probably only need to update the software to play the mp4 audio.

14. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

more accurately iTunes does non decode anything itself. it works through quicktime module.

15. Bear macrumors G3

You really don't want to convert from one compressed format to another. You really want to start with source material - like a CD to make AAC encoded music.

Maybe if you had recorded the MP3s in maximum quality or at a bare minimum of 160 VBR to max, you might have gotten a good conversion.

16. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Yes, it is possible, but I wouldn't suggest trying it. there is a guy on www.ipodlounge.com (in the classifieds section)that can fix anything with an iPod, including the battery much cheaper than Apple will.

Regards,
    Gus

17. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i'm gonna try encoding an mp4 audio from a cd directly now and report back soon