iTunes .aac -> .mp3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tahko, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Tahko macrumors regular

If I rip my CD collection to iTunes as aac, does it automatically convert those files to mp3 if I select "mp3 burn" option? I'd like to know since my mp3 car player doesn't support aac.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yes, it will convert. But you're better off ripping them as MP3 in the first place. That way you get no loss of quality due to a conversion and it'll go much faster (no time needed for conversion).

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Except then you lose more quality to begin with... or waste more hard drive space.

4. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Does that actually work for you? When I choose to burn an MP3 CD with AAC files included when I click "Burn" it grey's out the AAC files and only the songs originally encoded as MP3's get put on the disk.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You're correct. I was mistaken. From the iTunes Help: "If your playlist includes songs in formats other than MP3, they will not be burned on the CD." Either convert them to MP3 before burning or just rip to MP3 in the first place.

6. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Yeah, only recently found that out myself. I since switched my encoder back to MP3. I mean come on, almost all the major CD players that come out now can play MP3 CD's. iTunes should at lease be able to convert AAC to MP3 for you.