iTunes abort on XP Pro clone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Howard Brazee, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

My iPod copied most of my pictures, and recognizes the songs on CDs in an XP Pro clone, and when a CD is in the drive, it sees the CD name and the song titles. It is not obvious to me the easy way to get those on my iPOD, so I open and closed the CD drive. iTunes 7 (How do I spell "iTunes" at the start of a sentence?) asks if I want to load the songs on my iPod, I say yes, and iTunes aborts.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes several times, rebooted several times, reset my iPod several times. But I have no idea what is causing the abort (other than using an inferior computer design).

What should I try next?:mad:

2. Tech Guy 07 macrumors newbie

Quick answers to your questions...

Ok, I don't believe that iTunes 7.0.xx let's you import the songs directly from the CD to the iPod. I have only "imported" cd's to my hard drive and then added the songs from either playlists or tracks from the "Music" (a.k.a. Library) section in iTunes.

Here's what I would do to get the basics down, it's really easy. But before we get to the "Importing Part" I would recommend turning off "Play songs as they import setting," it can get really annoying when importing mulitple cd's. To stop iTunes from playing songs automatically, select Edit Menu > click Preferences > click the Advanced Tab > click Importing, and deselect "Play songs while importing." Click ok and iTunes should close all of the menus for you. Then insert a CD and do the following:

(Now onto the fun part...)

The following info was taken from the iTunes help menus:

1. Insert an audio CD into your computer's internal CD or DVD drive. When the list of songs appears in the iTunes window, deselect any songs you don't want to import.

2. To add the selected songs to your library, click the Import CD button (at the bottom right corner of the iTunes window). To cancel importing, click the small X next to the progress bar at the top of the iTunes window.

3. When the songs are finished importing, click the Eject symbol to the right of the CD or click the Eject Disc button in the lower-right corner of the iTunes window.

4. Click the "Music" Section in iTunes (just below the word Library) and then select the song that you want to put on your iPod. Left-Click and drag the song to your iPod icon that's listed in the "Devices" list. A message will appear stating that the iPod is updating and do not disconnect, just wait for a few moments. After it's done, click the "Eject" Icon next to the iPod and then disconnect the iPod from the computer. See if it plays the song that you just imported.

There are many other ways to get songs on to your iPod, such as using playlists, but this is the most basic way. In short, I don't think you can directly import cd's to the iPod, if someone else knows how, feel free to comment/correct me.

One other thing to keep in mind, if you have a lot of CD's like I do, be sure that you have enough storage space on your HD. I currently have 6289 songs in my Music Library which is about 24GB. (I actually created a partition on my HD just for the iPod stuff.)

Hope this info helps...

Tech Guy 07

3. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I went to the Apple store and they gave me a phone number to call. I
    called tha phone number and after a few minutes found that this was my
    one free call. I can subscribe to a service or pay $39 per call in
    the future.

They had me open the CD using Windows Media Player and import a couple
    of songs, so I ripped a couple of songs.

Then they asked what security I was using - Sygate - they had me
    disable it (I don't like that idea - I need it for my work VPN). I
    did so, but it didn't help.

Then they had me run iTunes diagnostics (shown below). They said it
    isn't their problem. I mentioned that the CD drive that I use is a
    DVD drive and they said, that was my problem, so I moved it to the
    CD/CDW drive and got the same problems. Actually, I don't know which
    drive produced the diagnostics. Windows says my CD drivers are
    up-to-date and can't find any better matches.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    MICRO-STAR INC. MS-6788
    iTunes 7.0.2.16
    CD Driver 2.0.6.1
    CD Driver DLL 2.0.6.1
    LowerFilters: PxHelp20 (2.0.0.0),
    UpperFilters: GEARAspiWDM (2.0.6.1),
    Video Driver: MSI MS-StarForce GeForce FX 5200 (NVIDIA GeForce FX
    5200)\GeForce FX 5200

IDE\DiskST3120022A______________________________8.01____, Bus Type
    ATA, Bus Address [0,0]
    USBSTOR\DiskGeneric_STORAGE_DEVICE__0111, Bus Type USB
    IDE\CdRomDVDROM_1_0X_____________________________41______, Bus Type
    ATA, Bus Address [1,0]
    IDE\CdRomLG_CD-RW_CED-8080B______________________1.06____, Bus Type
    ATA, Bus Address [0,0]
    If you have multiple drives on the same IDE or SCSI bus, these drives
    may interfere with each other.
    Some computers need an update to the ATA or IDE bus driver, or Intel
    chipset. If iTunes has problems recognizing CDs or hanging or crashing
    while importing or burning CDs, check the support site for the
    manufacturer of your computer or motherboard.

Current user is an administrator.

D: LG CD-RW CED-8080B, Rev 1.06
    Drive is empty.

E: DVDROM 1 0X, Rev 41
    Audio CD in drive.
    Failed Reading table of contents, error 4310.
    Check the website of your computer or drive manufacturer to verify
    that you have the latest firmware for your CD / DVD drive.
    Audio CD reading failed. Error Code: 87 87 87 87 87 87 87 87 87 87
    87 87 87 87 87 87 87 87 87 87.
    iTunes cannot play or import music from a CD in this drive. The drive
    may need a firmware update. Check with the manufacturer.
    Get drive speed failed. Error Code: 2020.

:(

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Have you tried ripping the CD using the LG drive? The ID string of your E: drive looks suspicious. Apple uses a third party CD support library for Windows and it doesn't like some drives.

B

5. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

It aborted also - while they were on the phone.

I was thinking here at work - Maybe I should rip my CDs to my PC using Windows Media Player, and letting iTunes find them and load them. I've just started with my iPod, but it should be pretty simple to figure out how to do this.

The problem appears to be that iTunes is confused by my drives - maybe because they were set by hand. But no other software has problems with them.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you define "set by hand"? Are you using some non-standard drivers or something like that?

B

7. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

We can tell Windows what drive letter to use for CDs. It doesn't have to use the next letter in the alphabet.

Before I got a DvD writer, I used "R:" for my CD-ROM, and "W:" for my CD-RW.

This way, if I added a hard drive, my CD drive letter did not change.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

So are the C: and D: from the log inaccurate?

B

9. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I will have to check that computer when I get home.

10. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

My CD-R is D: and my DVD is E:. I guess I stopped renaming them.

11. Tech Guy 07 macrumors newbie

Firmware for the CD-RW

I found the OEM version 1.08 for your LG CD-RW drive. Here is the link:

http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/cdr/ced8080b_108.exe

It seems that version 1.07 is only for Dell computers and 1.08 is the generic one for everything else. According to your iTunes tech read-outs, the cd-rw drive is 1.06. It might help things, give it a shot. Also you can import a cd into iTunes on another computer and then copy the .aac (or .mp3) files onto a usb thumb drive. Then copy them over to your HD and have iTunes look for them. I know it's a little bit of a hassle, but it's worth a shot. Plus, you won't have to authorize another computer to do this; since you are importing from a cd, there isn't any DRM applied to the music file.

12. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

Thanks, I will try that. But I now think something else is at fault as well - because when I tried to import the CD I downloaded using Windows Media Player, after it asked if it was OK to convert the file formats, it aborted.

So I uninstalled iTunes completely from my computer, and re-booted. But iTunes came up anyway. I infer that it must be on my iPOD. I once saw a setting to reset my iPod, so I looked for it, but haven't found it yet.

I installed iTunes on a different computer and it is ripping a CD as I speak.

I'll look for that driver, but I'll also look for the setting to reset my iPod to its virginity and reinstall iTunes again.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It used to be part of iPod updater, but now that function is part of .... wait for it ... iTunes 7.0.

i.e. you'll need to have iTunes 7.0 installed and working to reset your iPod.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983

iTunes doesn't live on the iPod, so something else is going on.

My guess is that you've got something getting in the way, like some bad CD/DVD burning application that installed an incompatible set of ASPI drivers...

Or, you let a copy protected audio CD install its payload of spyware and associated garbage.

B

14. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

When I plugged in my iPod on the other computer, iTunes asked me if I wanted to mak it my master computer (I forgot the words it used). I will be irrated with that soon, but now it was useful.