itunes alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by scotfree, Dec 13, 2002.

1. scotfree macrumors newbie

I have just switched to Mac from PC. Is there an app similar to Winamp>or can someone tell me how I can play my mp3's that are stored on an external hard disk or from a patrition without having itunes copy the files onto my internal HD? also how do I remove songs from the itunes library after I delete them from my HD? It seems I have to delete them one at a time.....there are hundreds of songs and this is really ticking me off. I want Winamp back, just a simple little uninvasive program.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: itunes alternative?

1) Go to Preferences -> Advanced. and UNCHECK the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library". Now, you can drag/drop all your mp3's from the external hard drive and it will NOT copy them to your internal drive.

2) I don't know about the delete thing. Why don't you just delete from via iTunes... and it will ask you if you want to trash the MP3

arn

3. demonx macrumors regular

4. scotfree thread starter macrumors newbie

hehe you people are quick!
    Thanks Demonx...I just assumed that there was no winamp for mac as i haven't been to their site in a while. Cool beans, I'll give it a try. (fingers crossed)
    I did the uncheck thing....thanks but if winamp is the same as for the PC I'll stick with it. Just simple.

5. scotfree thread starter macrumors newbie

I just noticed this is an Alpha- also for os9 I just tried it and it seemed a little buggy, skipps a little, drag and drop took a few trys, adding tunes through the DIR slow.....I think I'll wait for a Beta for osx before i try again....thanks though. have you tried it demonx?
    question: I was reading in another thread that it is important to use the home>music file for tunes and if you want to keep your music elsewhere to put an alias in the music folder....what does this do and where exactly do you put it....I want to keep all my music on my external drive.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

No need for the alias thing...

Go to iTunes Preferences -> Advanced.

Now Change your iTunes music location folder to your external drive. So... when you import songs from CD's, it will be imported to that folder. When you drag songs to iTunes or launch iTunes to play an MP3, the song will be added to the library... but the file will NOT be copied.... (which is why you unchecked the first box).

Give iTunes a try... it's very nice actually.

arn

7. scotfree thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I would suggest using iTunes, but if you are bent on switching, http://www.panic.com
    has the best other player if you asked me. It was my old mp3 player. It's called Audion.