itunes alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jkelly888, Jan 19, 2006.

1. jkelly888 macrumors regular

jkelly888

is there a program i can use to load videos and music and such onto my ipod that isn't itms? also is there anyway to get a file to transfer to the ipod is i get a message saying write to "james's ipod" failed. ipod could not be read or written to?

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Are you on a Mac or PC? You may want to try reinstalling iTunes - make a backup of your iTunes folder first just in case. As far as an alternative - dunno.

3. jkelly888 thread starter macrumors regular

jkelly888

i'm on windows xp. i recently upgraded from itunes 6.0.1 to 6.0.2 but i had the same problem with a few files on both versions. bad luck mabye?

4. revfife macrumors regular

revfife

On a PC you can use winamp, it has a iPod plugin to allow for managing you iPod through Winamp. But why would you want to? iTunes works, sometimes it is necessary to do a clean install (delete iTunes, download, and then install). Also a reinstall of the iPod Software might help too.

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I've had several PC using friends who have had iTunes problems - a full clean install has always solved the problem. Just make sure to back up any songs you have bought or ripped.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have you upgraded the iPod, too...?

7. jkelly888 thread starter macrumors regular

jkelly888

no but i hear that the new 5G firmware update has some major bugs or something so i'm afraid to update it

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I would still upgrade... iTunes and iPos firmware needs to be "in sync" for everything to work correctly... :)

9. jkelly888 thread starter macrumors regular

jkelly888

i think i will update. does the updater erase everything on my ipod?
    also, what are the known major bugs in the new firmware?

10. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

It wont erase your iPod, unless you press restore by mistake instead of UPDATE.

As far as bugs go - I did read a little while back about a problem with video playback after a certain duration, but I don't remember where. You may like to try a search on here and in google.