iTunes Alternatives... in MacAddict

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Apple!Freak, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I found this cool article in MacAddict (November issue) that gives like a guide to other music stores out there besides iTunes. It's called "iTunes Alternatives." Pretty cool stuff. Anyone else see it?

2. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

Link??

3. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Hmmm... I checked online and they don't even have the November issue up on MacAddict's site.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I haven't seen it. For the benefit of someone sour at the fact there's still no Australian iTMS, did the alternatives look good or just blatant iTMS rip offs? :)

5. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

No, yeah... I checked them out and most of them seem really good.

6. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

The "iTunes Alternatives" begins on page 36... for the benefit of those without a subscription or what have you...

(Info based on MacAddict Issue Number 111)
    Audio Lunchbox
    Similar pricing to iTMS
    Bleep
    $1.35 a tune
    eMusic
    Monthly Subscription
    LiveDownloads
    $7.95-$12.95 Album/Show
    Mp3Tunes
    $0.88 a tune, and $8.88 an Album

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I saw it. Looked nice, too, but the allowance system in iTunes is great... doesn't require you to have a credit card number to receive, something that a lot of parents are happy about. (Doesn't require Little Billy to have Mom/Dad's credit information at hand and any twit with half a brain can realize what to do with credit information...)

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I've bought a few things from Audio Lunchbox. Of course emusic and mp3(tunes) are what's left of the mainstays of a different era.

B

9. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Yeah... those were them.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

So if eMusic uses a monthly subscription-- can you download the songs during your paid month, and burn them onto a CD so that you can still have them after your sub' is up? Or is that illegal? I really don't get these subscription models. :confused:

11. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

If it hasn't changed too much from when I used it briefly then:

You can download MP3s that can do with as you wish, as there's no DRM. This used to be an unlimited amount, but since then I think they've limited how many you can download per month.

If you cancel your subscription then you still have full access to whatever you've downloaded. No need to burn them into a CD or anything. It's perfectly legal.

Edit: Since they have no DRM, though, there's a different range of music there. You won't find many of the big name artists, though there was a few relatively well known ones when I last used it.

12. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

eMusic is great, especially for some alternative artists. Their subscription model is great for finding new artists. For a monthly fee, you have a certain number of downloads a month (I am at the low end, which is 20 for around $5 US). It is reasonable quality mp3 (~192 kps), unprotected. So it is yours to keep and do whatever you want with.

While I like iTunes and use it a lot, eMusic offers great value, and because I sometimes have a few downloads available at the end of a month, I will try out something new.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Oh my gosh! They have some of my favorite artists! Badly Drawn Boy! *swoon* I <3 eMusic. They definitely have some other artists I've been curious to scope out but doubted iTunes would have (and doubted I'd want to shell out $.99 for :p they're new, I don't know if I'll like 'em!).