iTunes alternatives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amonusko, Jan 25, 2006.

1. amonusko macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Does anyone have any sites they like as an alternative to purchasing music from iTunes. I still intend to use iTunes to listen and manage my collection but I'm not too happy with the fact that any tracks purchased through iTunes won't play on other devices should I ever decide that I want a different DAP than my current Ipod.

I'm not looking for pirate sites, just a legit downloading service that will allow me to play the purchased music regardless of the DAP I have at the time.

2. xy14 macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2004
    3 Choices..

If you want to just stream music, you can use Rhapsody for $9.99 a month or so. It is now compatible with macs, but you must stream it over Safari.

If you like mainly indie music, is for you. It has different price levels for different amounts of downloads per month, but it is very easy-to-use.

Finally, this service is technically legal, just not proper ethics. is a site where you can choose pretty much any file format (wma, aiff, mp3, m4a, etc), and any bit rate. The cost is 2¢ per megabyte, but you must prepay a minimum of $10. I have used my credit card, and they do not scam you out of money or anything. I'll tell you why this is legal quick though. In Russia, the copyright laws do not include digital music, so there are no laws being broken by distributing the files. This allows them to just pay for server costs only.