Itunes and a hot key for now playing?????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thekornreeper, Mar 26, 2007.

1. thekornreeper macrumors newbie

I am the proud owner of a new 17" mbp, I succesfully converted my windows itunes library and converted it into a mac one. One question, I had previously used a plugin for windows itunes, so I could hot key whatever itunes was playing (win key + Z triggered). How can I do this for the mac version of itunes.

Thanks, Dave :):apple:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Sorry!

Hitting ⌘-L will take you to the currently playing song, but I'm guessing that isn't what you're asking about.

3. thekornreeper thread starter macrumors newbie

For example if I had ichat open, and I hit win+Z in windows it would type:
    "is now listening to Angels and Airwaves - Do it for me now - from the album We Don't need to whisper"

It would also work on a forum, I had it configured as a global hotkey. I know you can do this in mac os x (i've seen a few ways), but If anyone knows of a plugin already I'd be very thankful to save me the time of looking for it.

Thanks, Dave:)

4. thekornreeper thread starter macrumors newbie

Itunes and a hot key for now playing?????

I am the proud owner of a new 17" mbp, I succesfully converted my windows itunes library and converted it into a mac one. One question, I had previously used a plugin for windows itunes, so I could hot key whatever itunes was playing (win key + Z triggered). How can I do this for the mac version of itunes.

For example if I had ichat open, and I hit win+Z in windows this would activate the plugin to put in something like
    :"is now listening to Angels and Airwaves - Do it for me now - from the album We Don't need to whisper"

It would also work on a forum, I had it configured as a global hotkey. I know you can do this in mac os x (i've seen a few ways), but If anyone knows of a plugin already I'd be very thankful to save me the time of looking for it.

Thanks, Dave :cool:

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Please wait for more replies (seeing as you already got at least one reply) in your first thread.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Sort of, yes. And get a lot more out of it.

First off, welcome to the light side of computing.

Now, get Quicksilver. Then wonder why you didn't switch before. Linkety to the Quicksilver manual and download

Quicksilver has the ability to show you what is currently playing in iTunes. You press your hotkey to invoke QS, then start typing the command "Show Playing Track" (Don't worry, you don't have to type the entire thing. By the time I've got SHO out, it figured it out.). Now you get to press return, and a nice little thingy pops up.

But...

Quicksilver also supports global hotkeys. So, you could press whatever hotkey you wanted to auto-invoke that "Show Playing Track" command from anywhere.

Quicksilver also lets you do a lot more, like perform Google searches, choose songs to play in iTunes, change/open Applications, etc. all with just a few keystrokes. Much more powerful than a mere plugin.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

9. thekornreeper thread starter macrumors newbie

my apologies, I'm new to the forum, and I thought this category was a lot more likely to get good replies, how do I delete threads on this board?

Thanks, Dave

10. thekornreeper thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give this a try :) ty:D

11. thekornreeper thread starter macrumors newbie

Success with Quick Silver

Quick Silver takes a bit of getitng used to but I figured it out!!

I use adium, which allows the use of "Itunes tokens" basically words that will become the now playing data in the chat window.

So I figured out what I needed to type in Adium:
    * is listening to %_artist - %_track - from "%_album" *

Now I installed quick silver, under quicksilver I clicked +, and add hotkey:
    select an item: i pasted my text (* is listening to %_artist - %_track - from "%_album" *)
    Action: Paste

I set up the hot key (alt key + Z), and viola it works !! :) Thanks for the quicksilver recommendation!

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Try typing %_music instead...?

So you wanted to send this information to a friend or someone? I was thinking you wanted to know for yourself... like when you have 15 apps, dozens of windows, and two monitors... That's when you invoke Quicksilver and type "Show Playing Track". (Well, start typing it. You've probably figured that out by now.)

13. thekornreeper thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've been fiddiling with quicksilver it's quite flexible, very quality program :)

14. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

for itunes controls, i use sizzlingkeys. if i want to know what's playing, i hit cmd-f1. it also lets me do other things like pausing and playing, skipping tracks, changing volume, etc. and itunes doesn't have to be the forefront app.

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Same with Quicksilver, except I can also run a Google search, turn Bluetooth on or off, open Adium, and select what song I want to play in iTunes. All by pressing just a few keys... :D

16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i realize the things you can do with quicksilver, but i just don't like the interface.