Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Apple's System Status page, both the iTunes Store and the App Store are down for some users. The iTunes Store has been experiencing issues since just after 1:00 p.m. Pacific Time this afternoon, and while the App Store outage period is not listed, MacRumors has seen several complaints about accessing it going back an hour or two.

appleitunesdown-800x133.jpg

Apple's System Status site says some users may be unable to sign into the App Store and the iTunes Store, an outage that comes at an inconvenient time as the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus were just released, so many people are trying to set up their devices and download new apps.

There's no estimate given for when services might return to normal.

Article Link: iTunes and App Store Down for Some Users

cjrulli

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Hmm, I wonder if this is why my last two attempts to restore from an iCloud backup have failed?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
So maybe that explains why my new iPhone 7 (128 black) activation didn't work (several tries).

...oddly, it restored from backup, updated from 10.0 to 10.0.1, and shows t-mobile network in top left, but, it does not have my number, nor can I call (or text) except to call t-mobile service.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
So maybe that explains why my new iPhone 7 (128 black) activation didn't work (several tries).

...oddly, it restored from backup, updated from 10.0 to 10.0.1, and shows t-mobile network in top left, but, it does not have my number, nor can I call (or text) except to call t-mobile service.
Oh, wait, I forgot to turn off find my iPhone in old iPhone 6s...but, now how do I get the new iPhone to try to activate again??

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Apples servers over the last few days have been beyond hammered..
iOS updates.. new iPhones.. backups, restoring from backups, app downloads from the boom of iOS 10, iCloud photo libraries.. then re download all your apps after you get the 7.. redownloading music to your new devices..
Not to mention, the normal people who are buying movies and Tv shows and all the iMessages and people who use iCloud for email..
Idk how you even prepare for this

Reactions: Kaibelf

ojobson

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
Apples servers over the last few days have been beyond hammered..
iOS updates.. new iPhones.. backups, restoring from backups, app downloads from the boom of iOS 10, iCloud photo libraries.. then re download all your apps after you get the 7.. redownloading music to your new devices..
Not to mention, the normal people who are buying movies and Tv shows and all the iMessages and people who use iCloud for email..
Idk how you even prepare for this

The best part of 10 Years of releasing new iPhones should do it, you would think.

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
Its fixed now.

Apple site now shows as all services are ok.

I can connect to App Store from my phone now.

PS: If anyone cant still connect, restart your device. That did the trick for me.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
The best part of 10 Years of releasing new iPhones should do it, you would think.

I'm confused. What does that have to do with what is essentially a consumer DDoS attack because of insane server and network demand in a single day? How would YOU, personally, handle this scenario?

ojobson

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
I'm confused. What does that have to do with what is essentially a consumer DDoS attack because of insane server and network demand in a single day? How would YOU, personally, handle this scenario?

Late reply I know, but I wouldn't. I'm not the worlds most valuable company with the collective experience of years of global hardware, software and service experience with many thousands of employees and a huge global supply chain. But you would think that with all that you could accurately forecast demand and put adequate resource in place to meet it, no?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Late reply I know, but I wouldn't. I'm not the worlds most valuable company with the collective experience of years of global hardware, software and service experience with many thousands of employees and a huge global supply chain. But you would think that with all that you could accurately forecast demand and put adequate resource in place to meet it, no?
Some realities of business probably come into play, like return on investment, allocation of funds, etc. And that's all assuming that all of this always stems from occasionally not keeping up with increased demand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.