iTunes and Audiobooks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Verto, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

OK, so I've been ripping my Harry Potter Books on CD to my computer, but came across the annoying situation where, when listening to my music library with shuffle on, it brings up a random chapter from Harry Potter. I thought I remembered a setting somewhere, where you could select certain songs to NOT be selected in a Shuffle..anyone know of this, or a way to stop these book tracks from coming up?

2. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

You can Get Info on the tracks, go to the Options pane and check the "Skip when shuffling" checkbox. I think this is really what you're looking for.

Or you could uncheck the tracks in your Library. Though that means they'll be skipped even in normal play mode. And they may not transfer to your iPod.

So I'd suggest my first choice.

3. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Of course you can make a smart playlist first, which contains all books (and apply the above mentioned trick to it) or you just make a second smart playlist with everything but the first smart playlist and shuffle this one.

Any way should work.

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Shouldn't audio books be in a different format? I put a book on my iPod as well, but it shows up as a 'song' instead of a book.

5. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

You have to change the file format to audiobook and it will appear there and be bookmarkable on your iPod. Running windows you can just change the file-type to .m4b . But on the Mac you have to change the resource-fork of the file as well. Gladly enough, a script by Doug Adams can do that for you:

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts07.php?page=1#makebookmarkable

Just put it into your privat Library/iTunes/Scripts and you can execute it in the new iTunes Menu (between "Window" and "Help").