iTunes and converting mp3 to ACC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macunkie, Mar 13, 2006.

1. macunkie macrumors newbie

macunkie

I have a somewhat large collection of audio in my iTunes Library. A little over 4000 tunes (17+gbs). Alot of these files are in mp3 format. I know iTunes can convert these to ACC, but the problem is that it duplicates the mp3 file into an acc. Does anybody know of a way to get iTunes NOT to leave the original mp3 after conversion? Is there any command line utilities out there that will convert my entire library?

Thanks,

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

you could have a look thru DougScripts but honestly i don't know why you'd want to do it - yes AAC is a "better" format, but mainly because it gives you better file quality for a smaller size than mp3. If you convert from mp3 to AAC you're going to end up with worse quality (lossily re-compressing an already compressed file), losing the main point of moving to AAC.

If you really want AAC, you really ought to re-rip into it from the original (uncompressed) tracks.

3. macunkie thread starter macrumors newbie

macunkie

Thank you! It seems you are the second person to mention the worse quality.
    re-ripping would just take too much time so I'm going to leave my mp3 portion of my library alone and import as acc from now on.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=194417#post194417

Thanks again!

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

welcome.

Be aware also, that AAC files are only playable in iTunes/iPods so if you want to let your non-Apple friendly friends "borrow" them, or you want to burn mp3 CDs (that play in some car cd players), then you're better off sticking to mp3, despite it being a worse format.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Good idea.

6. macunkie thread starter macrumors newbie

macunkie

I think I originally had decided, (some years ago), to import as mp3 for just the reasons you mentioned. But, I've never had a need for a "mp3 Cd." All of my current mp3s burn to an audio cd just fine that play in any CD player I've tried. As a long time mac user now, I still don't own an iPod and am wondering if an iPod will play my mp3s?

Thanks,

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Um no... protected AAC files are only playable on iPods but regular AAC files play just fine on my Sony Ericsson phone etc. AAC is a standard format not an Apple-specific one

8. macunkie thread starter macrumors newbie

macunkie

So iPod can not play mp3 files?

Sorry....found my answer: yes!
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60920#faq16

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No...your MP3s will play just fine on your iPod.

It's just that if you happen to have protected AAC files (as downloaded from the music store) they will only play on iPods/iTunes unless you burn them to CD and reimport them.
    Similarly, if you have protected WMAs from other download stores, they won't play on the iPod.