iTunes and Encoding...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hob, Mar 5, 2004.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I've searched, and I've never yet found a satisfactory answer! WHY is iTunes so slow at ripping CDs? It's improved slightly since i've transitioned to G4, but still - 7x... I think I was ripping at that speed about 5 years ago with Real Jukebox!!!!

I've only been switched for 7 months, but the one great thing with Windows was that media player would rip a cd before you'd even blinked... I can't remember the speeds exactly, but it was about 10x faster than this...

Please don't flame me, but if you have an answer, or a suitable piece of software for mac that encodes CDs to AAC faster, please let me know :)

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Most of it has to do with your optical drive speed. The Powerbook and iBook only have 24x CD-ROM speeds. I can notice a huge difference between using my internal DVD-RW in my Powerbook and my external 52x CD-RW drive for ripping.

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Bingo - my biggest peeve with Apple is DVD/CD drive speed. They are crazy slow. I'm hoping for a big speed bump in the new G5 updates.

4. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

If you are using a laptop, you might try setting your performance to "Highest" in System Prefs. under Energy Saver. I'd agree with everyone else though, it is the optical drive.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

It's not just the optical drive speed. A lot of it has to do with whether or not "Error Checking" is on. I think iTunes has it on by default and apps like Musicmatch do not.

6. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

I'd probably agree with the optical drive thing - burning a CD for friends is embarassing (or it was on my iBook - the PowerBook seems a little faster at least!)