itunes and external hard drive stuff

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrchainsaw5757, Sep 6, 2006.

1. mrchainsaw5757 macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

Well i have an external hard drive and i wanted to just use that as my main music storage source. so i moved all my music from my ipod and hard drive onto the 250 gb external. everything is all organized into folders and stuff just like how it would look in the itunes folder. and basically all i want to do is be able to play the songs on my external in itunes. i know theres a way to do it, but i cant seem to figure out. i thought if i went to preferences and changed the destination folder from the music/itunes folder to where it is on the external that would have done the trick. but when i clicked ok it said it was updating my library, but none of the songs went in there? so i dont know if im missing a couple steps or what.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks alot

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. mrchainsaw5757 thread starter macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

yeah i did all those steps and the songs arent showing up at all in my itunes library. i dont get it

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

did you move the iTunes folder or the iTunes Music folder?

the iTunes folder has to stay in your home directory, and ONLY the Music folder goes onto the external. then point iTunes to look at the Music folder and you should be good.

5. mrchainsaw5757 thread starter macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

yeah i did that too. and i made sure i didnt move those files. but still no beans