Itunes and external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KLTjonez, Mar 27, 2006.

1. KLTjonez macrumors newbie

I needed to get an external hard drive because my itunes was getting to big. I moved it over to my hard drive exactly the way i was supposed to. I even checked to make sure it all got transfered over right and it was all there. Now some how everything from my itunes library is gone. My videos, music, and everything I bought from the store. Does anyone know how this happened and how I could fix it. Is this fixable? I have my ipod with all my music on there. Can anyone help? Thanks

2. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

How did you transfer your library. Did you check iTunes itself to see if it links to the right library on your External Drive?

3. KLTjonez thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Lacie hard drive and i was told to change it by going to preferances and changing itunes music folder location to the lacie hard drive. And then they told me to move my music from the users, music folder into the new hard drive.

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

hmmm...something sounds funny about you calling it or having it in the 'sharing folder'.

5. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

1. Are your music and video files on the Lacie hard drive? If so, where? (the exact name of the folder(s))

2. What folder is selected in iTunes preferences as being your music folder?

3. Did you move or delete your iTunes Music Library file?

As a side note, I found that video files I had added to iTunes would NOT sync to the iPod on my computer unless located on my boot drive.

6. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Yes indeed. Sounds a little of. To the OP here is a link that goes into detail how to move your iTunes library to a different location.

LINK

7. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Did you change your preferences in iTunes to indicate the new location of files? (under the Advanced tab, and it is called (iTunes Music folder location) I have all my music on an external disk so I know it works fine. You may need to just reload your library file from the external disk.

Kimo

8. KLTjonez thread starter macrumors newbie

ok here it is exactly

I guess my friend didn't really know how to do it because all he told me to do was change the location of the itunes music folder location to the new hard drive and then go to users find my itunes music folder move that into the new hard drive then erase it off my computer to free up space on the hard drive. This is what he told me to do and that is what i did. I then went back to check to make sure it all transfered right and it was all there. A couple of days later i go to the external hard drive and my itunes looks as blank as when i first got it. Now he never told me to erase itunes of my computer so that it is just located on the hard drive. So with out the new hard drive connected i have a blank itunes on my computer. Again a couple of days later i go to look at itunes on my new hard drive and it is as blank as the one on the hard drive. Does anyone know what happened and how i can get ALL my music back. I did see a folder that said previous itunes libraries, but I can't get it open. I am not very good at this whole trying to find were stuff went to and transfering things around which is why I had a friend who "knew" what to do help me. Honestly did I really loose all my stuff or is it hidden somewhere. I do have all my music on my ipod, but not all the videos. I there a way I can get all my music from my ipod back onto my computer? Do I have to start all over again? The itunes doesn't even show that i have an ipod. It's like i never had anything. please help thanks

9. KLTjonez thread starter macrumors newbie

I did have it set up exactly like this link says and that is what my friend told me to do.

10. baummer macrumors 6502a

1. Locate your music files on the external drive.

2. Remember where the files are.

3. Open iTunes.

4. File > Add to Library > navigate to where the music files are, hit cmd+a then hit ok

5. Might take awhile, but it will add the files to the library.

Also, make sure you don't have the option selected to copy files locally within iTunes.

11. KLTjonez thread starter macrumors newbie

my problem is, is that I can't find where all my music went to it isn't on my external or my computer hard drive. The music files are the same on both my external and my computer empty

12. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

You can try this:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17443

If that doesn't work, then you may have accidently deleted your music. I suspect your music is still on your hard drive or drives somewhere. Try searching for a specific song file within the Finder. Use the shortest name possible (not the whole song), or try to search or ".mp3" or ".m4a" and see if any files are on your computer.

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

What happens when you open iTunes? Does any of your original library appear?

14. KLTjonez thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing just completly blank

15. KLTjonez thread starter macrumors newbie

So I got an idea and it worked. I finally realized that if I opened my external hard drive and looked at how much space was available and yup there is exactly 17 GB of space used which is exactly how large my itunes was. Now that I know it's all there I just need to be able to retrieve it.

16. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Try using Spotlight and give a quick look for one of your songs from iTunes and see what comes up. Next try doing the same thing with the LaCie turned on and see what happens.
    Good luck :)

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed. spotlight might find them for you and you can relocate them.

Bless

18. KLTjonez thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I found all my music in the itunes music folder that was on my external hard drive. I did this and i wont let me add to library.

19. KLTjonez thread starter macrumors newbie

It will start adding the music to my itunes library and when it get close to being done and then itunes shuts down. What do I do?

20. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well since I re-read your post, do you have a FW LaCie or USB 2.0? Did the music that transfered over to your HDD stay there when iTunes stopped or not? If not try putting half of it over and check it, then the other half and check it again. Open it up (iTunes) before trying to transfer anything again and see what you get, just so this doesn't get any uglier than it has.

21. KLTjonez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for there help I've got it all back:) and put in the right place

22. dylan macrumors 6502

Make sure you put an alias to the new folder on your hard disk.

That way it won't reset when you eject the disk.

23. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

that was an adventure. :D

and how did you do it?

24. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

pardon me, what did you mean?

25. sherm3501 macrumors newbie

Moving music to External HD

I am new with Mac's and I am trying to move all of my Itunes music onto an external hard drive. First I tried clicking and dragging, No luck. Can anyone give me some advice on how to move the files?