iTunes and Growl

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rickvanr, Jun 19, 2005.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Hey..

Here's the deal, I'm trying to rip my CD's onto my new computer, I have growl installed, and when I change songs I have growl set up to notify me. When I change songs, it shows album art (yay!), but in iTunes it doesn't show the artwork (boo!).

What's causing this?

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I don't know what growl actually is, i assume a media player. In that case, it may automatically search the internet to show album art for the track. iTunes does not perform this function, so that may be what is causing the artwork to show up in one or another. This is all speculation so people don't yell at me for getting it wrong hahah :)

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Growl is a notifier. I've never used it though, so I can't help :(

4. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Ok well nevermind then, I was way off hahahaha :D

5. Meromo macrumors newbie

Maybe I'm being too simplistic...but have you made sure you haven't got the album cover view in iTunes to show "selected song" instead of "currently playing" (or whatever)? And the selected song just doesn't happen to have an album cover? I've done that too many times to recall.

Other possibility: I use Synergy, which uses Growl, and it keeps the album covers in a particular folder, whereas iTunes magically adds covers to the actual file. So even if Growl has found a cover, your iTunes might not have it.

Hope that helps...
    M.

6. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

I HATE GROWL, i tried to use it once, but couln't get farther than the dl, i didn't know how to put an app into the thingy.....sorry mental block...point is i had a very discouraging time with it

7. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Well, what application were you trying to get to work? Maybe I could help you out.

8. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

how do u get it to work with itunes? the only programs i see in the list wehn i open the pref pane are growl and adium

9. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Ok, when you download Growl, there is a Extras folder, in it, there is an App, called GrowlTunes.. put it on your HD, and add it to the startup items.. and you're good to go.

10. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

OK i put it in my startup items folder...now do i need to restart? cause i still don't see itunes in the growl prefpane....

11. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Shouldn't have to. did you open it? do you see the headphone icon in the top right corner near your clock, spotlight, etc?

Try quitting and re-opening System Preferences

12. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

oh ok, i got it, i thought you just had to put it in the folder, i opened it, and it works thanks a lot