Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Hey..

Here's the deal, I'm trying to rip my CD's onto my new computer, I have growl installed, and when I change songs I have growl set up to notify me. When I change songs, it shows album art (yay!), but in iTunes it doesn't show the artwork (boo!).

What's causing this?

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
rickvanr said:
Hey..

Here's the deal, I'm trying to rip my CD's onto my new computer, I have growl installed, and when I change songs I have growl set up to notify me. When I change songs, it shows album art (yay!), but in iTunes it doesn't show the artwork (boo!).

What's causing this?
I don't know what growl actually is, i assume a media player. In that case, it may automatically search the internet to show album art for the track. iTunes does not perform this function, so that may be what is causing the artwork to show up in one or another. This is all speculation so people don't yell at me for getting it wrong hahah :)

Meromo

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2004
Wellington
rickvanr said:
Hey..

What's causing this?

Maybe I'm being too simplistic...but have you made sure you haven't got the album cover view in iTunes to show "selected song" instead of "currently playing" (or whatever)? And the selected song just doesn't happen to have an album cover? I've done that too many times to recall.

Other possibility: I use Synergy, which uses Growl, and it keeps the album covers in a particular folder, whereas iTunes magically adds covers to the actual file. So even if Growl has found a cover, your iTunes might not have it.

Hope that helps...
M.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
I HATE GROWL, i tried to use it once, but couln't get farther than the dl, i didn't know how to put an app into the thingy.....sorry mental block...point is i had a very discouraging time with it

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
biohazard_6969 said:
I HATE GROWL, i tried to use it once, but couln't get farther than the dl, i didn't know how to put an app into the thingy.....sorry mental block...point is i had a very discouraging time with it

Well, what application were you trying to get to work? Maybe I could help you out.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
biohazard_6969 said:
how do u get it to work with itunes? the only programs i see in the list wehn i open the pref pane are growl and adium

Ok, when you download Growl, there is a Extras folder, in it, there is an App, called GrowlTunes.. put it on your HD, and add it to the startup items.. and you're good to go.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
rickvanr said:
Ok, when you download Growl, there is a Extras folder, in it, there is an App, called GrowlTunes.. put it on your HD, and add it to the startup items.. and you're good to go.

OK i put it in my startup items folder...now do i need to restart? cause i still don't see itunes in the growl prefpane....

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
biohazard_6969 said:
OK i put it in my startup items folder...now do i need to restart? cause i still don't see itunes in the growl prefpane....

Shouldn't have to. did you open it? do you see the headphone icon in the top right corner near your clock, spotlight, etc?

Try quitting and re-opening System Preferences

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.