iTunes and iPhoto to FW HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DVDSP, Dec 7, 2004.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

I recently got my Aiport Express hooked up to my home stereo. Now I'm thinking that I would like to put my entire iTMS and CD collection onto an external FireWire hard drive and drive everything from that.

Then I thought that if I were going to do that it would be smart to put all of my photos on that same hard drive too.

Scenario 1:

We have 3 Macs in the house (2 dual G4s and an iBook). Will it be possible to access the music and photos on the HD from all three computers, maybe even simultaneously? Here's what I'm thinking. I may want to listen to music at one computer while my wife is in another room listening to different music on the stereo through the Airport Express via the iBook. Is this possible? If so how? Keep in mind that the HD would be attached to possibly the third computer in this situation.

Scenario 2:

Assuming I can do the above I have another question. Can I import music and photos from multiple computers and have them automatically be stored on the FW HD and not on the computer that the CD is in or camera is attached to?

Thanks in advance,

2. advres Guest

advres

As long as the computers are networked (which I assume they are) you can already launch iTunes from any computer and listen to the complete library. I do this with everyone else's libraries at work.

Also, I believe that as long as you set your prefs to where the Library is stored you should have no problems with importing to the library. I could be 100% wrong about this point though.

3. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I pointed the prefs to the new HD and I can get my library to load on all computers.

However, I can only import music on the computer that the HD is attached to. That kinda sucks but is alright. Now my problem is this: when I import music on computer A and then start up iTunes on computer B or C the newly imported music doesn't show up on B or C. I have to open the new music from the Finder on that computer in order for iTunes to "see" it.

Is there a better/faster way?

Thanks again,

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

See step 3 on http://captnswing.net/howto/itunes/

Of course you'll need to know how to use Terminal a little bit as his example uses the shared folder, while yours will look something like /Volumes/FirewireHD/Music

The goal is to share the Library.xml file as well as the music files, and to accomplish this you use a symlink.