iTunes and MP3's-HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Mr. Monsieur, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Applecare let me down (again) today...I guess the honeymoon is over...sorry to gripe...here's the problem: I created a new playlist in iTunes to burn songs (songs that I had previously downloaded from my CD collection) onto a CD in MP3 format. I followed iTunes "help" directory instructions, but when I get to the last phase, burning, I get the message "none of the items in this playlist can be burned to disk." The applecare guy thought it might be a format issue-but the files are from CDs, not the iTunes store...his answer didn't get me any closer to a solution...is iTunes really this limited? Any thoughts as to how to go about getting these songs onto a CD in MP3 format would be MUCH appreciated!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

under the iTunes preferences....in the importing tab...make sure that the file type for importing songs is mp3

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Not to make me or you look stupid but you do have burning set to Mp3 CD right?

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

If he's burning an audio CD he should have it set to audio, not MP3. Unless he has a CD player that plays MP3 CDs then he can fit more songs on the CD than using Audio CD.

Mr. Monsieur, please provide a bit more information. How many MB's of MP3s are you trying to burn on one CD?

5. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

ok...i did this (it was previously on "AIFF Encoder")...does this mean that i need to re-import all the files again? (please say no!)

your question is a fair one...and the answer is yes i do...i followed the instructions from iTunes 'help menu' to a tee (and it included this step)

i am, in fact, trying to make an MP3 CD to play on an MP3 compatible CD player...iTunes help menu said i could burn over 12 hours of MP3 music onto one 650MB CD...the playlist shows 11.9 hours and 7.08 GB (obviously, therefore, not in MP3 format yet!)

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yeah, you've imported all your music in uncompressed AIFF format. You don't have to re-import from CD though. Just select the mp3 encoding settings you want, select all your imported music and select Convert Selection to Mp3 from the Advanced Menu.

7. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

All right...I went ahead and did this...I had to leave it working and returned to it after some hours...when I went to burn the CD, having done the conversion, it still gives me the same message! Do I need to convert them again? Or perhaps they were converted and saved to some other place on my hard drive? :eek:

8. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Perhaps it's just the way I have my prefs, but when I convert from AIFF to MP3 or AAC, iTunes creates that file, but leaves the original intact--therefore, I have both an AIFF and an MP3 of the same song. Do Command-I to see if the files you are trying to burn are AIFF or MP3.

9. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

When it converts them, it dosen;t replace the origionals, nor does it change the playlist files. You will have to recreate the playlist.

If you want to find where your MP3 songs are, go to library window, then go to the edit menu, and select view options.

In there, make it so you can see the bit rate coloum. Go back to the library window, go over to the bitrate coloum, and click the coloum name to sort by bit rate. Now all your MP3s will ge on the list togeather, scroll until you find them (they will be at the very top, or very bottom).

Select them all, drag them to a playlist, and burn it.

You might want to keep importing all your music in MP3 format from now on, if you are going to burn lots of custom CDs, or download the music to an MP3 player other than the iPod. If you will be downloading them to iPod, use AAC.

Well, hope that made sense.

10. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, so far so good...but i can't select them ALL, because i only need some of them...do i need to select them one by one? i keep trying to drag the cursor over all of them, but it doesn't work! Very annoying (and slow!)
    Also, what does it mean when a song is checked in a playlist? (on the left side of the playlist)-I unchecked the ones I wanted to delete, but couldn't find a way to do that...now I have to go back and re-check them all I guess? :confused:
    THANKS for the help!

11. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Are you saying you're having trouble selecting songs in iTunes to put in a playlist? Command (apple) and Shift are your friends when selecting multiple songs.

If the checkmarks act the same when you import then only the checked songs will be burnt to the CD. Unchecked songs will not be included on the CD you burn.

edit: Oh, and if you want to delete a song (or songs), highlight them and hit delete ;)