iTunes and Network Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Si., Sep 26, 2006.

1. Si. macrumors member

Hi all.. iTunes is driving me MAD!!

I have my library on a shared network drive hosted on a Win2k3 server. All works OK however when I wake my Mac Mini up from sleep it keeps disconnecting the mapped iTunes shared drive. This causes iTunes to revert the library location to the default settings placing it on my Macmini Drive.

So everytime I go back into iTunes I have to reset the directory, then re-consolodate all of which takes 30-40 mins.. It's REALLY ANNOYING.

Is there any way I can resolve this problem?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could try putting an alias/symbolic link to the network location in the default location so that even when it defaults it goes back to the network share...

Or you could run mt-daapd on the server and treat your library like a remote networked one...

B

3. Si. thread starter macrumors member

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Go to the iTunes Music folder on your network drive. Ctr-click and select Make Alias. Take the created Alias folder and put it where the iTunes Music folder is on your hard drive (i.e. in Music/iTunes; move the existing one to the trash).

Reset the music location in iTunes to your hard drive and restart iTunes. It'll then look for your music in the iTunes folder, and follow the Alias to the network location.

When you're not connected to the network location, a small ! will appear next to your tracks in iTunes.

5. Si. thread starter macrumors member

I can't seem to find a way to make the alias of the network drive (this is a share on a Windows 2003 server).

Any ideas?

6. Gee macrumors 65816

Not of the drive, of the iTunes folder on the drive. Highlight it, and either do File>Make Alias, or Ctr-Click and pick Make Alias....