iTunes and sharing playlists unknowingly?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by klyau6, Oct 22, 2004.

1. klyau6 macrumors member

Jan 19, 2004
    Hi -

I just have a quick question.. I am sitting here on my PB listening to music in the union (I am in college), and I looked on iTunes and saw there was a new playlist/category called "J.T. Halbert's Music" right underneath the "Purchased Music" category.... I have no idea where it came from. There is a darker blue icon next to it, and it has been trying to load for the past ten minutes...

Now, ten minutes ago there was another kid sitting right by me also using a PB and listening to music. My only guess is that this is his playlist? I can't figure it out otherwise and have tried using the iTunes Help thing. Does anyone know how this happened? Do our playlists send to each other or something??

Sorry if I sound like a ninny asking this question, but i'm rather confused.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
  2. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    iTunes can look for "Shared" playlists. It's in the preferences, cleverly hidden in the blue icon labeled "Sharing."

When two or more Macs have networking turned on they can form a min-lan where each computer can talk to the others and look for "shared" resources such as iTunes playlists among other things.

These options may be turned on, but you can just as easily turn them off. In the Preferences. No big mystery or conspiracy.