itunes and tags

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JW8725, Jul 13, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005
    So i've had the misfortune of ripping my cds to .wav files which are tagless. Now i'm having to manually do each one. Well im doing multiple singles per album at a time. The thing i've noticed is....My computer takes far longer to add multiple tags and cd cover pic to apple lossless files than it does to .wav files......Any bright spark know why? Very stange!

P.S. Help with the tags would be appreciated too. Is there something that can make my cd tagging easier? I've still got like 200 cds left to tag! :(
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's a bigger file so it will take slightly longer to rewrite to disk that a smaller wav file.

Are you ripping from the original CDs? If so, iTunes will go get all the tags for you (minus the artwork but you can use the Album Art widget to get that and copy it back to the file later).

If you're ripping from the wav files, it might be worth having a look on version tracker. There are a few apps that will try to identify songs/artists/tags for you which I've used with some success in the past.
  3. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005
    So your telling me Apple Lossless files are bigger than the origional WAV files now? Wow my computer must be wrong then?
  4. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

Jan 25, 2005
    iEatBrainz Can aparently automatically get tags based on the sound of a file.

Why dont you convert to mp3 or AAC? Do you have good enough speakers/ears to hear the difference?

I wouldnt consider myself an Audiophile, but I can hear the compression on certain songs, but its well worth using compression at higher bitrates, just so I can have loads of songs on my iPod :)
  5. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005
    Mp3 files on a $20,000 setup just doesnt seem right does it? :D . I think the minimum for me is Apple lossless.
  6. asif786 macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.
    i don't really think there's a need to take that tone, do you?

wow, someone tries to help you and instead of saying thanks, you act like a smartass.
  7. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

Jan 25, 2005
    From this site.

I could never justify spending $20,000 on a setup. If you can throw that much cash at it, why not get yourself a 500GB or 1TB drive and keep them all loss less anyway? Unless of course you already have a large amount of space.

Just out of curiosity, what is this $20,000 setup? I remember a friend taking me to the Bang & Olufsen shop and I really wasnt that impressed. My background is in Audio/Music Production so I can hear the difference in good quality speakers, but I dont have an awful lot of choice as I'm not rich :)
  8. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005
    reason I got the HD was that I wanted to setup a RAID array later on, I have a powermac in mind.

My set up is as follows:

4 sources
    Cyrus CD8, Linn Ikemi and Linn Classik (as second system) and Apple Airport.

DAC - Chord DAC 64 connected from above source via Van Den Hul Octocupler

I've got a custom made mini to RCA silver wire connection for the Airport to pre amp.

From the DAC to my hifi I'm using Van Den Hul The ultimates MKII

Pre - Linn Kairn last spec. Soon to be Linn Exotik
    Power - Linn Klout (passive). Soon to be Linn Chakra

Between pre and power again im using the Ultimates MKII

The Klout has 3 outs so i'm using Epos M22's in a triwired config. With Chord Signature cable.

Mains leads are silver shielded clones of Nordost
    I'm using an Isotek mains conditioner too to keep the juice clean.

Also separate to this I have some headphone amps:

Solid state Larocco PPA duluxe and a custom SinglePower Maestro ZR soon!

Bose Tiports (purely for comfort)
    Sennheiser HD 600, 650.
    Grado SR60, SR-225 (awesome but uncomfortable) RS1 ( :eek: )

Played about with the M-audio audiophile card too. upgraded the opamp.

Oh and the classiks just running with some B&W speakers as a second setup. With Linn cabling.

About the B&O. Pretty aint it? Thats about it. The sales rep was telling me some bull about tweeter dispersion on their flagship speaker then couldnt explain if their DACs upsampled??
  9. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Jan 21, 2005
    New Zealand
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of music are you listening to on that setup?
  10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    All bagpipes, all the time.
  11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

That's awesome! :D