iTunes and Windows Media Player and Quicktime Plaer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kent_ridge, Jun 2, 2005.

1. kent_ridge macrumors newbie

May 26, 2005
    I'm having problems playing a music file (wma format) with windows media player and also 2 video files (meg & mpeg) with quicktime player.

The error I receive from windows media player is "the specified stream type is not recognized" and from quicktime, "quicktime cannot open -file name-. It is not a file that quicktime understands (-2048).

The question about iTunes is when they rip songs out of my CDs, it is in a m4a format. How do I convert it to mp3 format?

Thousand Thanks!
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Two steps. Note in the Advanced menu that if you select a song, there is a "convert to AAC" option. What you have to do is first go to preferences -> importing, and then change the default format to MP3 and the settings you want. Then, this option in the advanced menu will magically change to "convert to MP3." Also, all songs newly ripped will start their lives as MP3s instead of AACs....
  3. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Try opening them in MPlayer, VLC or XinePlayer. (Search for them on MacUpdate or VersionTracker).

If they all fail to open the files, it could be that they're corrupted somehow.
  4. kent_ridge thread starter macrumors newbie

May 26, 2005
    I've tried to open them but failed. Anyway they aren't corrupted as my friends managed to open the same file.
  5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    Some mpeg types cannot be handled by quitcktime very well. For those types, I use VLC. If that fails, then you should check wether there is a problem with your files (even if your friends haven't).

In order to do that, download ffmpegX and open those files. Yeah, ffmpegX is an application meant to be used as a converter, not a player, but if mpegX cannot open the files, then they cannot and won't be able to be opened by any other application on the mac.