iTunes: Apple and Disney Soundtracks

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Apr 21, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001
    Apple announced today that the catalog of Walt Disney Records, including soundtracks from Disney's animated files are now available exclusively on the iTunes Music Store through September 30th.

2. arn
    macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
  3. macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2003
    Planet Earth

Have some Pepsi iTunes caps to cash in.

Some of those Disney songs are quite good. :eek:

Uh, did I admit that publicly?
  4. Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    as with other Disney stuff, it gets "Vaulted" and will be unavailable for sale/release for a number of years. This is the same problem that happens with quiet a few of their movies - where you want to buy a copy, and simply can't until it becomes "rereleased" from Disney.

I assume it will just be pulled from the iTMS, the same as a few other songs have had happen - "Channel Surfing" by FeatureCast being one that comes to mind.
  5. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    I always thought that was an annoying concept, but it always got people like my mother to run out and buy it when they "released." Stupid Disney, I'm glad Pixar moved away from them.
  6. macrumors member

Oct 27, 2003
    I wonder...

Does it mean that they will be unavailable after September 30th, or that they will only be exclusive until Sept 30th?
  7. macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    Or it is no longer 'exclusive' to the iTMS after the 30th and shows up on other online download stores.

All in all, this is pretty surprising given the bad blood between Jobs and Eisner these days.
  8. macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I am glad to see this, don't know if I will buy any, but I figured after the break down of negotiations between Disney and Pixar, that would affect other relationships between Disney and anyone that was involved with Steve :cool: Glad this is not the case.
  9. macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2003
    Chucktown, SC
    Either there were no hard feelings after the Pixar deal fell apart, or perhaps given Eisner's uncomfortable position since said deal fell apart, the bottom line is worth more than his pride. I'm guessing the latter.
  10. macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    i would have to agree that disney's habit of releasing things and then taking them away is pretty dumb, but i am happy to see anything new get added to the iTMS, especially something as high-profile as disney soundtracks.
  11. macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    Wow... Disney even has its own genre on the iTMS now!!
  12. macrumors member

Am I missing something here?

Global? :confused:

Here in the Netherlands there's no such thing as iTunes store where I can actually buy stuff. To be precise, there is (as we all know) only an american store! :mad:
  13. macrumors regular

Aug 18, 2002
    NO!!! They don't have the Oliver and Company soundtrack!!!!:mad: That movie pwnz.
  14. macrumors regular

Dec 1, 2001
    Maybe he knows something we don't know? When the deal is over things turn back into pumpkins and mice. You knew that didn't you?
  15. macrumors newbie

Feb 18, 2004
    $39 for the finding nemo soundtrack

Because its a partial album ("Beyond The Sea" by Robbie Williams was left off"), you'd have to buy the 39 tracks (most of them short) individually.. $39!!!

Glad I didnt wait for it to end up on iTunes.
  16. macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    That's when somebody tells Eisner that Apple is selling Disney music. :p
  17. macrumors member

Aug 27, 2002
    This is so cool.

I hope Dumbo is available. One of my favorite songs is "Have you ever seen an elephant fly?" (if that's what it's called...)
  18. macrumors 6502

Dec 18, 2002
    As far as I know, Disney does not vault their soundtracks. My bet is that after September 30th, Disney soundtrack tunes will be available on other online stores as well.
  19. macrumors regular

Nov 21, 2002
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just in time for me to use up the last 15 or so Pepsi caps I have kicking around :D
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Jan 8, 2002
    Historic St. Charles
    And as far as vaulting their movies is concerned, I always thought it was a pretty smart marketing idea. As a new parent though, I can't say I enjoy buying a dvd that my kid probably won't watch for a couple of years. But as far as getting the most bang for your marketing buck and getting a nice quick (relatively) burst of sales, I think it's a smart move.
  21. macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Bring on the people who will bitch that "How could Apple lower themselves to supporting the evil Disney empire." :rolleyes:

Personally this is great. There are some Disney movies, both non-animated and animated, that I really want to pick up.
  22. macrumors member

Oct 27, 2003
    I've said before that I think Disney's vaulting movies makes a lot of marketing sense but I am not sure how much business sense it makes--you gain the sales of the people who go "Oh! A new release!" but you lose the sales of people who think "You know, I would really like to get _____" and then go out and purchase it.

I am not convinced that the latter group is sufficiently smaller than the former group to make up for savings in marketing even over a long period of time (where it does make sense).

Of course, I'm biased, I fall in the latter group :D
  23. macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2003
    Scranton, PA
    Nice!! I'm suprised this happened though, with the recient rocky times between Steve Jobs at Pixar and Michael Eisinger at Disney. But I was waiting for the Finding Nemo CD to come out. :D
  24. macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    It's there, but it's "album only," like most of the most popular Disney songs. I was going to sit down with my daughter and build a custom "best of" Disney CD, but it's simply impossible. All the good songs are "album only."
  25. macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    That means I'll be able to purchase that cool Pirate of the Caribbean theme song? Well, at least not until iTMS is out. But this can only be a good thing for iTMS.