iTunes Audio Dropout

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by comrade, Apr 26, 2003.

1. comrade macrumors regular

Ocassionaly, and currently more frequent, I will be listening to a song in iTunes when the audio will completley dropout. The song will still be continuing to play, but no audio. It will come back on again in about 5-10 secs or I can pause and play and it will be fine. Why is this happening and what is the problem?

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I've been having the same problem recently, and so have several other people I know. My first thought was that my speakers were going bad, but then it happened on my iPod too. I called Apple about 2 weeks ago, and after speaking to several people, I got a manager who said, "We are aware of the issue, and it will be addressed in the form of a software update in a few weeks."

I don't know if he meant an OS update, or an iTunes update, or an iPod OS update. I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

3. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Me too!

This problem happens to me everyday! Whenever I'm at my desk, I'm always listening to iTunes while I do my homework and the audio drops out a few times a day.

My remedy is pausing the song and the resume it. I didn't know this problem was on the iPod too. Very strange.

4. Xero macrumors 6502

whilst were on the topic of iTunes oddities, ive also had this problem, but i have another strange thing:

It seems that iTunes cant handle the output of sertain sounds, and audio clipping happens if i have the preamp any higher that -6db. this happens with almost EVERY song with piano in it. when piano plays the audio almost always clips. anyone else have this problem? im on a 1ghz 15"PB. some other people should try playing any Piano song [preferably with the piano soloing] and tell me what they experience.

5. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Amelie Soundtrack

There's a lot of piano on the Amelie Soundtrack, I have noticed a bit on my Sawtooth but more on my girlfriends eMac. The strange thing is it happens when I play the original CD through the eMac too. It must be something to do with the digital amplifiers in these things. :confused:

6. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Me too.

I've had a similar problem with iTunes, the sound starts to crackle and lose its coherence in a strange sort of a way, but as previously mentioned pausing it and playing it agin fixes the problem. All i can say is, bring on iTunes 4.

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Well it's good to know that other people have been having this problem too. iTunes has only stopped playing on me a couple of times, but I was concerned that a hardware component (like my sound card) was dying. Maybe iTunes 4 will come out on Monday and the problem will be solved.:)

8. comrade thread starter macrumors regular

So, has iTunes 4 fixed this problem? I won't be able to try it until Monday.

9. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I don't know about the rest of you, but iTunes 4 and iPod Software 1.3 have fixed my audio dropout problems.

My AAC encoded files sound great, and it's nice being able to listen to them without hearing a 10 second dropout gap. Nice work addressing this issue, Apple!

10. Xero macrumors 6502

iTunes 4 has NOT fixed the "Piano Distortion" issue i mentioned earlier in this thread tho. :(