iTunes Australia - Q1 2004?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 2, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

News.com.au reports that Microsoft's Ninemsn music service will reach Australia early next year.

Of more interest, an Australian version of Apple's iTunes is also expected in the first quarter of 2004 according to the article.

According to sources, Apple plans on extending the iTunes Music Store "to a number of markets beyond the US" in the same time period.

Apple has publicly committed to Japanese and European Music Stores in 2004. Apple has also been reported to be in negotiations with Canadian music agencies as early as October of this year.

2. macrumors 6502a

yoman

iTunes is spreading

yeah :) Major battle of the giants Apple vs. Microsoft again. Desktop wars moves to Music Store wars

3. macrumors 6502

Good news for Austrailians--Apple is finally caring about other countries.

4. macrumors member

I think I got the first comment. I hope :)

GO AUSSIE iTUNES! :)

5. macrumors P6

~Shard~

It's about time! Apple needs to continue to expand like this if it wants to stay competitive with the whole online music store industry, so this is great news for lots of people around the world!.

6. macrumors 6502

Nice, bring iTMS all over! Make it number one. (Just like I'm number one on this forum.) he he

7. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Gotta be quicker than that.... ;)

8. macrumors 6502a

Thank god this is happening. Now we can get rid of those 'Apple's Crap since they don't have iTMS in *insert country*'.

9. macrumors 6502a

Wonder Boy

apple has to beat microsoft to it. end of story.

10. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

11. macrumors regular

12. macrumors 6502a

yoman

Quote from article

"Nevertheless, the choice of the Windows Media format and the lack of user-friendly players were among the reasons it was "highly unlikely" that Ninemsn's service would make money, Mr Tripp said."

:D I like

13. COS
    macrumors member

COS

THESE SERVICES CAN'T MAKE MONEY

"the choice of the Windows Media format and the lack of user-friendly players were among the reasons it was "highly unlikely" that Ninemsn's service would make money."

The choice of Windows Media Format certinly is a contributing factor... but the reason they wont make money is because THESE SERVICES CAN'T MAKE MONEY. Apple themselves -- the leader in this industry -- has said as much.

Its a loss leader!

It makes me wonder if Microsoft is funding the various music download efforts... and Microsoft is taking the loss to fuel WMA growth.

14. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Australian iTMS

Geez I hope so, I must admit the Australian Apple rep did say that some big things were on the way with Apple. I just hope it means we will be able to get iTUNES in NZ as well!!!
    On another note I was just reading some of the comments on the MacNN site regarding the European Apple store and their recent poor delivery service as reported in recent servey. For Apple's sake I really hope that Apple is doing a lot to rectify the situation especially in the run up to Christmas. I understand that the service issue occured at the time that a new system had been installed but for the length of time that Aple has been in business AND the length of time that most people have been doing online shopping I would have thought that Apple would have had a sufficient amount of POLITE, INFORMED, HELPFUL, TRAINED operators to take the calls. In retailling it is hard enough to get new customers but even harder to get them back after you have lost them or pissed them off with bad service.
    well Merry Christmas to all and here's to iTUNES in this part of the world!!!

15. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nope. I'm still waiting patiently....

16. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I guess it's much easier to handle Australian music laws, really nice for the Aussie community... congratulations..

17. macrumors 6502

appleguy

Re: Australian iTMS

Well in Apple's eyes I think New Zealand is considered to be a state of that big lump of dirt some people call Australia....

18. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Re: Re: Australian iTMS

More than Likely although some of it comes down to Local Apple Authourised Re-seller/Distribution Agent who effectively sell on Behalf of Apple and who at dont seem to be to concered at large scale marketing ...or at least that is the impression I get. The only other problem we have is a legal/political one which is nothing to do with Apple. And that is the fact that it is Illegal to down load and or copy music in NZ. Apparently we have the tightest laws in the world with regards to copying music which probably chucks the proverbial spanner in the works for negoiating music down loading agreements...

then again, it is illegal to drive faster than 100kph on the open road in this country as well, but lots of us drive cars that go faster than that.... just dont get caught. :D

I think in most American's eyes we are somewhere in Australia... unless they have been down here. Mind you some American's concepts of world geography can leave a bit to be desired.
    But her is hoping that we in Middle Earth get a crack at iTUNES very soon.

19. macrumors member

still think they're wrong to treat europe as one. they'd be able to expand far quicker if they took each country individually as and when possible,

20. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yeah, they could take Europe quicker if they did each country separately. I could see it coming to the UK earlier...

But certain poor countries in Europe probably would never get it...

21. macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

Australia, Japan, and Europe are now pretty much locked in for early next year. Canada, once you guys come online I guess we're set on the main markets. How long until ITMS Nigeria? :D

But no, I look forward to you guys joining us and to see if your countries will contribute music to the music store creating an international store providing music from every culture.

Welcome to the family.

22. macrumors regular

Yes, it would be an awsome way to get international music without paying $40 for import CD's. There's a Kiwi band, Samonella Dub, that I really enjoy, but it's just prohibitively expensive to buy their CD's in Canada.

23. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

All of this raises questions about the ability of the iTMS to sell music across borders. If Apple has negotiated the rights to sell in Japan with companies there, do they have the right to sell those tracks to the US market and vice versa? This could be the start of making music much more accessible the world over. Unfortuately, I think the Big 5 music companies will resist selling worldwide distribution rights. I hope I'm wrong.

24. macrumors member

iTunes Expansion at Macworld Jan.

I sense that Apple is going to expand the iTunes market at Macworld in January. No better time.

25. macrumors 65816

billyboy

Seeing as music from iTMS is only available in the US it seems a bit bizarre to think that Japans store will be open to US buyers.

It would be a coup to rejig the whole music industry licensing issue, but I dont even see lord Jobs being able to pull that one off.