iTunes basic questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hkriffraff, Dec 30, 2003.

1. hkriffraff macrumors regular

Oct 6, 2003
    - Before when I downloaded mp3 files with a file sharing app, they would automatically show up in my itunes library. Now it doesn't seem to happen anymore and I can't find any preference setting related to this. Why has it changed?

- How can I import AIFF files in MP3 format? I have tried changing the encoder setting in preferences, but why are my files are still not selectable in the "Add to Library" finder?

- As a matter of general practice, should I delete all my source music files after they have been imported into the iTunes folder structure to save space? Is there a convenient way to have all the files in iTunes folders revert back to being in the same folder?

- Is it possible to add other radio statios to the list?
  2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    Question 1: Not sure how they automatically showed up in iTunes... But that's a neat trick, especially from another app. If you set iTunes as the default player for the downloaded mp3 files, then that would probably work. It's not a setting within iTunes. Since I don't use file sharing apps, I can't be more specific.

Question 2: If you drag the AIFF files into your library, select them, and then use the Advanced -> Convert Selection to MP3 menu that will work. Then you can manually delete the AIFF files from your library and your drive.

Question 3: This depends on your source material. If you have ripped CDs to AIFF and you're converting those and you still have the CDs, I would say you could erase them. If they are AIFF files that you got elsewhere, I would make a backup of them. Of course, this depends on your drive space. I usually don't keep source material around. As for reverting the library, I'm not sure how easily it undoes itself when you uncheck the option to keep the library organized.

Question 4: As long as the radio stream is iTunes compatible (I'm not sure which kinds iTunes uses...) the stream will remain in your Radio playlist until you delete it.