iTunes "Brain"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by OutThere, Nov 25, 2003.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Ok, here goes, it is easier to compare this to the Tivo "Brain", anyone who has a Tivo knows that it can automatically record stuff that it thinks you would like, and sometimes it can get messed up - well I have a theory that iTunes has something similar, yet it is undocumented. I have 921 songs in my iTunes library, now this is not all that many songs compared to the number of songs some people here have, but it is still quite a few. Now, when I hit play in the main Library there is a 1 in 921 chance that it will pick a certain song to start on, and as I let it play through on random there is the same chance that it will play each song, yet it still seems to take a liking to certain albums, artists, songs and ratings. I have the song "Damn it feels good to be a gangster" nestled among other music, it is rated 1 star, iTunes picks it quite often. On my old computer (iMac g3 400) iTunes would ALWAYS play a CD of Irish music that I had ripped, it would pick songs from that album at least twice in a two hour period, whereas I can't remember it EVER picking a song by Our Lady Peace, of which I have one album and the same amount of songs. It seemed as if it wanted me to listen to the Irish Music. Now, you think that this could just be a fluke on my computer, not so, it also accurs on my new computer (iBook G4 1ghz), as well as my roommate at school's computer (BobInDaShadows at Macrumors). He has a collection of 58 songs that are 5 Star rated. At any given moment if one were to start playing this playlist it would play one of three songs to start off with; Jumper - Third Eye Blind; Abuse Me - Silverchair; and one other song of which I can't remember the name. In one test it played the three songs in succession as we fast forwarded through the playlist on random. On my new iBook I have already noticed that it seems to like Linkin Park (Especially the Reanimation album) and U2. I think that this could be something that was going to be developed but never made it, maybe a way that iTunes could sense your favorite songs, or maybe a way that it could reccommend stuff from the ITMS. It seems more than just a simple coincidence. Now that you are thinking about it go and play some music and pay attention, you'll notice it too.

2. Mblazened macrumors regular

not exactly

i'm sure someone else will post the details on why, but the reason is just because iTunes has a crappy randomizer. It has to cycle all the way through the ones it likes before it picks new ones. Something like that. No A.I. involved, i think.

3. JupiterZen macrumors regular

Re: iTunes "Brain"

The really weird thing is, that I was just starting to think about this in the last couple of days ... and now YOU post my thoughts on MacRumors ... :rolleyes:

I have a lot more songs in iTunes. My library is 3227 songs big (and to avoid an argument. Yes, they are all ripped from the some 250 cd's I own)

But even in this very large library I feel iTunes has a liking in some songs bij David Bowie. First I thought it must be just chance, because my entire David Bowie collection makes up a large portion of the library (415 songs). But it's not just picking a lot of Bowie, it's picking some specific songs of Bowie more that often.

I'm gonna keep an I on this, lets see what iTunes favours. :rolleyes:

On a sidenote ... I have a PC hidden in a closet being a mailserver and an mp3 server (iTunes sharing the lot) and I noticed that the things I play from there on my mac don't show up in the "Top 25" playlist. Or the "Recently Played" list. Much to my disappointment I must say.

4. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Re: Re: iTunes "Brain"

I'm just gonna let you guys know my thoughts on this (I'm outthere's roommate)

I have a small music collection - 300 songs, and have a playlist of my favorite ones, 70 songs. But the other day, a couple people were talking about this, and I mentioned that of that playlist, iTunes "likes" Jumper by Third Eye Blind, Abuse Me by Silverchair, and Wonderwall by Oasis, in that order. I hit play (in my small playlist) - Jumper. Hit next - Abuse me. Hit Next - Wonderwall... Happens all the time. Sure, that's a much smaller probability than your situation, but still (1/70) * (1/69) * (1/68) is a pretty small probability, wouldn't you say? 1/328440 chance of that happening.

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

As a test, why not take the three songs or so and change the name, genre, artist, etc. Add a period or a few spaces or something. This kind of pattern should be a cinch to figure out.

6. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Re: Re: iTunes "Brain"

oh my god, this is getting really creepy...JupiterZen must have a brain, too !!
    :D
    jk

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If that weren't enough, iTunes spies on you through your iSight and reports back to Steve himself as he frantically controls the AI brain in iTunes in order to send subliminal messages to eventually become supreme overlord of mp4.

8. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Wow... I didn't bother reading OutThere's post, because I've heard it about 135908 times... but he included what I said.

I'll test out changing the names and stuff later... unfortunately the G4 is in the shop and right now I'm not a 350 Mhz iMac DV. It Hurts, oh how it hurts.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've only got 1342 songs ripped from CDs but only a few have been played two of three times. Many still haven't been played at all. It seems to pick each album, then tries one and moves on.

However, I don't have any ratings. Perhaps, that's the key.

10. JupiterZen macrumors regular

So I thought using only mp3 encoded music would get me save from this.

But it hasn't ...

We are doomed ...........

11. Char macrumors newbie

I mainly just wanted to post about one error.. you said "The next song has the same chance of playing as the last.", which is incorrect. The way that works is.. say you have five songs, you hit play and it starts playing. When it goes to the next song, every song has a one in four chance of being played, because iTunes wont play the same song again till the rest get played. Ofcourse this doesn't count if you hit stop then play again, it will reset.

And I highly doubt it has a AI to do that, I dont have ratings on Any of my songs and it seems to play allot of them again when I hit play. Thats why I ended up making a "34 Least Played" and just play from that, or else I Never hear like half my songs.