iTunes burn vs. Toast

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by continuum, Oct 6, 2004.

1. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

What benefit is there in burning audio CDs with Toast vs. iTunes or vice versa? Toast seems to take longer.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know that burning with Toast will allow you to have the track names displayed, which can be a plus...

3. mms macrumors 6502a

Actually an audio CD burned in iTunes should display track names when playing in a computer. I think the main difference is that Toast is made for burning all sorts of files and with more complexity than Disk Utility. iTunes is a simple way to burn audio CDs but its limitation is that it can only burn audio. In most cases, iTunes should work fine.

4. andypop macrumors newbie

I use Jam (comes wiith Toast) to burn my CDs because I like to make mixes -- and Jam lets you crossfade the songs into each other without gaps.

/tommy

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Jam is excellent if you're serious about burning audio CDs. It allows you to burn red book CDs, not just orange book CDs like Toast, along with giving you the ability to do crossfades and other tricks. I use it all the time, and frankly, I don't trust iTunes' burning tool as I tend to view it as stripped down, and I'm never sure if it will burn my CD the way I want it to be burned.

6. fugeelama macrumors member

fugeelama

Not sure why, but CDs I burn in iTunes don't work in my car's Pioneer CD player -- I always have to burn them in Toast to get them to work...

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Not trying to be a smart@$$, but when you burn CDs in iTunes, do you have it set burn Audio CDs? It's very easy to overlook the setting as it's buried in the Preferences menu.

In Toast, it's much more difficult to mess up the buring format since you have to actively set the format you want to burn in.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Burn it the way you want an audio CD to be burnt? I really don't see the problem. I burn the CD's. They play. Other than the crossfading feature that I wouldn't use anyway, is there any other compelling reason to use Toast instead? :confused:

I'm also not trying to be a smartass, although it comes out that way, so I'm actually quite interested in knowing the answer to this. I also burn Data CD's fine. I've always been able to retrieve files, and I don't see the need to burn it better.

9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

BTW, when was Toast released? when should come a new version?, actually, is there a new version coming?

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

For me, I do a great deal of audio CD burning for people and need the discs turning out perfect. I take recorded shows like the BBC Radio One Essential Mixes for example, edit them up onto 2 audio CDs, add fades, crossfades, etc., and also include seamless trackmarkers on the discs. As a result, I cannot have any 2-second gaps, and furthermore, sometimes even when burning using DAO, slight hiccups still appear between tracks - as a result, I need a solid burning app which I know will "burn the CD the way I need it to be burned". Hope this explains things. :)

And to expand on my other comment regarding "book" standards, for those of you unfamiliar with this, red book audio CDs are just that - actual audio CDs. Orange book CDs are CD-Rs and CD-RWs - that's an oversimplified explanation. So, although technically both discs work just fine, it's nice for me, (again, in my specific situation), to be able to use Jam to burn actual red book CDs, just like they would "come off the press" from an actual studio. Yes, of course they play the same as orange book CDs, but it's just a personal thing I guess... ;) :cool:

More info can be found here and here.

11. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Toast sucks big time, i mean theres no option to burn iso's or other image files and to be honest, iTunes does all the audio burning featues i need, if it wont play in your car player, try a different coloured dye cd or turn the burn speed down.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Not sure exactly what you're talking about here, as Toast Titanium will burn ISO 9660 discs, image files, bin/cue files, CD-i, multi-track CD-ROM XA, VCDs, SVCDs, etc. etc. :confused:

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Soooo.....if Apple added fade ins and fade outs to iTunes Audio burning, it would basically do what you want it to, right? How about eliminating the gap between tracks to 0 seconds? I'm guessing it leaves a little "skip" in the sound regardless, right?

And does burning red book audio CDs add any benefit to the listener at all? Sorry, it just sounds like mundane details to me. If it works, it works, but I guess if CD players and car audio systems had an easier time reading red book CD's, then I guess I can understand, but if not, then meh. :eek:

14. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

When i burn CD's in iTunes, they dont work in my car's cd player. But my brother uses windows( dont know what software) and they play. I'm burning audible cd's, so I dont know what's wrong. I might just buy Toast, and see if that helps.

15. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Used to be that a Red book CD was guaranteed to work in all CD players, as it's the standard set by Phillips, but now, nearly all Cd players are burners or multi-format drives, and it makes little difference.

Some car machines won't play CD-r's and rw's at all, regardless of what burned them.

The PQ code written by Red-book burners is more sophisticated and is designed to support audio, but Orange and Rainbow book discs are very similar now.

you can create skip-free CD's with Jam BECAUSE it's a full Red-book system, seamless tracks are currently not possible on iTunes because it's Orange book (at best), so even with crossfades it'd still skip.

16. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

i asked for info and i shall receive. wow! thanks! now my next question....red book, orange book?? huh?

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Actually I can get it so that there is no gap whatsoever, not sure if iTunes would or not. Crossfading is also nice in certain instances as well, but in general, it's just a personal thing for me. I always have paranoia too about things like burning speed, will the disc be somehow formatted to only play on Macs and not Windows machines, or not car stereos, or old stereos etc. etc. - minor, perhaps silly things, I know, but things that I know I can control and have success with in Toast/Jam.

Oh no, not at all, I stated that in my original post actually - of course to the listener red book CDs play the same as orange book CDs, but it's just a personal thing really - I do it because I can. :p ;) In "the old days" some players would have had a problem playing CD-R standard discs as opposed to real audio CD discs, but nowadays players will play everything.

As I stated, just personal preference really. I know Toast/Jam works and does what I need it to, how I need it done, and my requirements are a little more advanced then the average Joe CD burning guy's, so I have reason to care about these matters a bit more. I like having a dedicated app as well to handle my burning, just as I like having SoundStudio and Bias Peak to handle all of my remastering needs. :cool:

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good summary, pretty much what I was getting at, thanks for this. The red book/orange book isn't a big deal anymore really, but technically red book is more authentic, since it is the actual audio CD standard, not the CD-R/RW standard. Just picky details some would say, I know... ;)

And, as you stated in your last point, which I also indicated in my above post, Jam allows me to create skip-less CDs, whereas iTunes will not - this is thanks solely to the red book nature of Jam and the non-red book nature of iTunes.

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem, glad to contribute - that's what you get on MacRumors!

As for red book and orange book, I think it has been explained enough in this thread already, but, as I stated in my original post, more information can be found here and here. Hope this helps, and I'd be happy to try and answer any other questions you might have... :cool:

20. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Something else to remember is that CD replicators (at least the big ones) won't accept an orange book CD as a master, they require Red book to duplicate from, so all my master CD's for duplication have to go through Jam (or Logics Waveburner) to be compatible.

I can't think of another good reason these days, as all players play pretty much all disc types.

There isn't any audio difference between a file in Red book and a file in Orange, the code is identical.

21. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I was just talkin to another Mac user at work, and was telling him about my CD buring issues. He said that if you slow down the burn speed, it should fix the problem of the CDs not playing in my car. If you are having similar problems, give this a try.