Itunes can see me but not play my shared mu

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by phil_phree, Sep 23, 2004.

1. phil_phree macrumors newbie

When I look at the "get info" screen under the kind field. I see that the files don't show as remote. I'm assuming that this is an issue as to whether I can share the music or not. I'm assuming that under windows, I could specifically set the sharing on files. Is this similiar to OS X? Thanks.
    I know that I can play other people shared music, but some reason no one can play my stuff. They can see me fine, but not pull up my library list.

Thanks for any help

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Usually this is caused (at least on Mac OS X) by not enabling iTunes sharing in the Firewall settings (System Preferences, Sharing pane, Firewall tab). There's a checkbox for iTunes sharing that should be checked if the firewall is turned on.

3. phil_phree thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done this, but the kind field still does not show remote.

I know based on the Itunes help screen that its should read remote. And I'm not sure how to fix this.

thanks

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Are you sure you're not at the computer you're trying to share music from? Also, make sure you've selected "Shared Music", then the share name on the other computer(s) - otherwise all you'll see are files in the local iTunes library for that machine.