itunes cannot connect to music store on mac, but can on PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Attonine, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Attonine macrumors 6502a

On my office LAN, i can connect to ITMS on my PC but not my Mac. On the Mac I get a message saying that iTunes could not connect to the music store and to make sure I am connected to the internet. I am connected to the internet. The firewall is not blocking the site as my PC can access it over the same network. I do go through a proxy server, though this clearly allows the site also. Any ideas?

Incidentally, I can connect to iTunes store on my Mac via dial up from my appartment.

2. Queso macrumors G4

What is the proxy server that's being used? If it is a Microsoft one, this is probably an authentication issue, since the PC can automatically forward your Windows logon credentials to the proxy.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Do safari and software update recognise internet connection? If not, but another browser (e.g. Firefox) can, you may have the same problem that I had, that needed an archive&install as you cannot connect to the apple servers.

Try repairing permissions

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apple offers this comment, without explanation:

5. Queso macrumors G4

It's because iTunes gets its proxy settings from OSX, and the setting don't currently support NTLMv2 authentication. Safari has the same problem if placed behind a Microsoft proxy. Either authentication on the proxy must be disabled (most network administrators won't do this) or the IP address of the Mac must be locked with a DHCP reservation so that the Mac always has the same address. This address is then allowed non-authenticated communication through the proxy.

Most sites I've worked within with Microsoft ISA Servers have told me iTunes isn't supported and to use Firefox for browsing, since Firefox has it's own NTLMv2 component.

6. Attonine thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will go with dynamicv. I suspect very much that this is the issue. It is definitely nothing to do with permissions, I repair permissions often and use it as a fisrt step solution to almost everything.

Thanks.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

:D

The problem does lie in the proxy. I'm not familiar enough with third party OS X tools to know if there is an addon that might bypass this issue. It could be worth asking on that basis.

What router / firewall / server is the proxy?