"iTunes Cannot Get CD Track Names For Songs That Were Not Imported Using iTunes"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LostCause1087, Jun 8, 2006.

1. LostCause1087 macrumors newbie

Does anyone here know of a program encoded for windows that can access the CDDB database to get track names and stuff for the songs in my itunes (the ones that weren't imported using itunes). Any help at all would be awesome. I'm desperate.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Tag & Rename can get track names from freedb and/or amazon regardless of the source. Workes best for complete albums if you want to use freedb.

B

3. LostCause1087 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I never found one. T&R has a free trial and is worth every penny...

Another trick when you have a full album that was ripped elsewhere (e.g. EAC) is to burn a copy of that back to CD-RW and rip it with iTunes then copy the info from the tags. It's a hassle though....

B

5. LostCause1087 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I'll give it a shot but is there a steep learning curve? Any compatability issues with iTunes? I heard somewhere it deletes previous tags is that true? How about the album art, will it show up in my iTunes window if i import it using this program? Sorry i'm just a bit of a skeptic as you can see... I've had some bad experiences with these types of things...

6. live4ever macrumors 6502a

There's iEatBrainz on the Mac and MusicBrainzTagger for Windows.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I primarily use the Amazon lookups to get artwork for my iTunes ripped M4A files and sometimes to clean up tags that weren't quite right in CDDB (or where more info is available in Amazon).

If you do a freedb lookup it will replace your existing tags with the ones from freedb. However when doing Amazon lookups you can select what will be changed (or not), so you can use that to add artwork semi-automatically, and it will show up in iTunes.

EDIT: I'll second live4ever's recommendations too. Particularly useful for individual songs which have no tags.

B

8. LostCause1087 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i decided to go with T&R i just hope i don't mess anything up... The interface looks pretty intimidating... I'm going to have to do some research before using it, i have a big feeling something might go wrong...

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW I had the same kind of fears, but I experimented on copies of sections of my iTunes library before daring to attack the live library. The freedb (F9) and Amazon (F10) lookups have a much cleaner interface than the main window, so you might not get confused if you use those parts primarily.

B