"iTunes cannot install. There is nothing to install."

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thegreatluke, Jul 9, 2006.

1. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Okay, iTunes was messed up as in it wouldn't open at all; if I clicked it in the dock, the triangle would appear meaning it's open, but a window would never show up and the only way I could close it would be to restart the computer by holding down the power button. (It wouldn't quit or force quit.)

So I deleted it.

Then I downloaded the installer from the Apple website and went to install it. When I got to the actuall installing part, it gave me three options of "iTunes," "iPod drivers" and "iTunes phone drivers." All three were greyed out and if I clicked "Install" it would tell me "iTunes cannot install. There is nothing to install."

Is there a way I can get iTunes back?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Your likely dealing with a receipt file issue here. Your Mac thinks it already has the up-to-date software installed and thus won't reinstall the same thing.

Navigate to <your hard drive>/Library/Receipts and look for some .pkg files with iTunes in the name. Drag them to your Desktop and then try to reinstall iTunes. If all goes well, you can then go ahead and delete those old receipt files from the Desktop.

3. thegreatluke thread starter macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

It worked perfectly! THANK YOU so much for helping!

:)

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member