Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeremiahgen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
I'm on a network and i can only see one other person with iTunes, i know there are other people on the network sharing their files, for example my roommate, but i can only see one person. Is there something i'm missing?
Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

stoid

macrumors 601
For iTunes sharing to work, the other person has to be on the same subnet as you. For example both computers IP addresses would have to be 192.168.0.xxx. It would seem that your roommate would certainly be on the same subnet as you though, so I'm going to suggest double checking all firewall configurations.

Jeremiahgen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
still can't see

I checked my roommates ip and it's the same, i can see other people on the network when i go to Finder>Network, so i can't think of whyi wouldn't be able to see them the odd thing is that my roommate, a guy on the other side of my dorm, and i can all see this guy named morrie, but none of can see each other. is there a way of telling iTunes where to search? Also, is it possible this guy has some way opened his connection more than we've opened ours. by the way my rommate has a windows PC, and the other guy i checked with has a Mac.

Jeremiahgen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
what about the macs

Westside guy said:
Unlike on the Mac, Windows iTunes users need to open up TWO ports

I know there are some mac users on the network i can't see, also any reason why my roommate and i can both see one person(the same person) but we can't see each other?

14" iBook G4 1.2GHz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.