iTunes capablities? Grouping songs/albums?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BengalDuck, Nov 12, 2006.

1. BengalDuck macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    one thing i would like to be able to do is link songs together for random/shuffle playback mode. some songs just belong together, like public enemy's "contract on the love world jam" and "brother's gonna work it out." i just can't listen to the first without the second following it, or vice-versa. does anyone know of a way to do this? i imagine it's not possible, but i figured i'd ask.

another cool use for this would be for linking entire albums together and then putting them in a playlist with other albums and randomly play entire albums. i also have a ton of great multi-track dj mixtapes that i can't include in my regular playlist because the individual tracks just don't sound right in a regular shuffle mode.

Is this stuff possible?
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    You can do one of those things, link whole albums (or sections of albums) together with iTunes. Select all the tracks that you want treated as a set, File->Get Info (say yes to the multiple items prompt), and fill in the Grouping field with some name. I haven't tried to make this work across different albums, not sure if or how that would work. (I suppose you could dup the songs and put them into your own custom compilation albums, if no other idea turns up.)

In the playback section of the iTunes preferences, you will see a Groupings option at the shuffle section in the bottom that can make use of this.