iTunes changing song info...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by generationxwing, Aug 17, 2005.

1. generationxwing macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2005
    Once in a while, iTunes will change the title and genre of a song, which really pisses me the **** off. I don't want a genre called "Other!"

Is there any way to stop this? It's a pretty stupid thing for the program to do...
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Umm... I noticed you're switching soon, so you're on Windows. iTunes isn't meant to change anything without you (the user) saying so first. Maybe you have a virus?

Maybe you should switch. ;)
  3. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2005
    No virus, my scanner checks every day.

It's just weird. It'll change a song to the 'other' genre and then when I go to change it, in the comments field it'll have a crapload of random letters and numbers.

Does iTunes download song info, a la WMP?
  4. the_freddinator macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2005
    SE PA
    that's ridiculous. here's what you should do.
    re-download iTunes (just in case you have a slightly corrupted install)
    if that doesn't work, call up Apple (unless you're not under warranty)

There's no reason for it to do something of that nature....
  5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Ahhh!!! The same problem some Windows users have.

Its called Windows Media Player.

If your files are MP3s, WMP will try to make them for WMP, and edit the files.

Although, if your using AAC, I don't know why.

My MP3s comments have random charachters in them sometimes. My AACs are fine.

EDIT: This is not the problem you are referring to...
  6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    What exactly do you mean by changing title and genre?

With the title, is the issue that iTunes cuts off the title of an mp3 at a certain length? If so, this is not iTunes fault, it's a limit in the version of ID3 that mp3 is ussing. Use Advanced -> Convert ID3 Tags... for that song and choose version 2.4, and you shouldn't have any issues...

With the genre, are you using some (rare) genre that's not in iTunes default list, then you might have to set it using the Customs option to make it stick (though I haven't had this problem for a couple of iTunes versions...)
  7. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2005
    It doesn't change the file name (that I know of) just the tags in iTunes itself. For example: I'll change, in iTunes, the info to have the artist and song title separate (I like my music organized). But once in a while it will change the iTunes tags to have the artist say separate but the song title, to be Artist - Song Title. That make any sense? And the genres I'm using are Rock, Pop, etc. Nothing unusual there.
  8. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2005

So I double clicked a song (Beastie Boys - Intergalactic) and it changed the genre from Rap to Other, right in front of my eyes. I clicked the "get info" and this was in the comments field:

000013A8 000013A4 000039D5 000039BA 0003A997 0003A997 00008000 00008000 0000C37E 00015FD5

Stuff like that ONLY appears when the genre has been changed by iTunes. Does anyone have ANY idea what's going on??
  9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Just to humour me, could you convert a song you know will change info on you as soon as it's played and see if the converted song does the same. I remember now having a similar problem with a select few songs that I hadn't ripped from CDs (hey, they were legitimately from the 'net) doing the same thing.
  10. cooltiger macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2008

i have that same problem i cant figure out what is wrong
    i personally like my library to have just the artist, song, rating, and the album if i have a lot of songs by one artist... short and simple
    but i will open up itunes and find out that about 30 of my 1700 songs with be updated with the year, track number, album artist, ect... and it will have those numbers in the comments section.
    i delete all of the comments, then a few minutes later, another set of about 30 songs will do the same thing, really annoying.
    my suggestion to deal with it is to select the whole library and get info, and check the boxes that you dont want the comments in, but that does get annoying too

does anyone have any better advice?
  11. Cor Caroli macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2009

I realize this is very old but the same things happens to me and I can shed some light onto the subject though I still don't why it happens or how to stop it from happening.

"changing the info" is a little vague, I've never had anything already typed change. It's more like it "fills in the blanks"

It also 'seems' like it only re-fills/restores blanks that I deleted.

I'm very strict with how I keep song files on iTunes, I always like the composer and comments to be blank, and the same goes for genre and album artists (with a few exceptions.)

I don't like the bulk of songs to have a genre aside from a few custom ones.

If import a song it already has 'Rock' listed as the genre, I will most likely delete it and leave it blank.
    After a period of time when I sort by genre somehow it's listed as Rock again.

-This is only a relatively small portion of the files, it does not happen to every song genre I deleted
    -I also can't be 100% positive that this new genre (which definitely wasn't there before) was the songs original genre, but I'm willing to bet on it.

To my knowledge a blank the was always blank has never been filled (ex: a song that never had a genre has never suddenly been given one)
    Again I can't always be sure what originally had a genre and want didn't, UNLESS it was uploaded from an old CD that doesn't have any song info.
    And I'm positive the the songs the changed were all downloaded ones and not ones from a CD.

I've never had custom content change
    Ex: instead of deleting the original genre "Rock" I changed it to "German Rock." Even when the composer and comments are restored. German Rock was still the same.

Although on rare occasion the album art was deleted. It has never deleted or changed info I added or altered like the correct song title.
    Which is why I think it only fills in blanks.

I've had this blank filling happen on two separate computers (both PCS), and since most people I know don't even look at the info or think to look again to see if it reverted if they edited it I wonder if this is common but unnoticed.

My theories (which are total shots in the dark I am not an expert)
    -It's something encrypted in certain files, particularly ones from questionable sources, especially since it usually restores comments that were site advertisements or codes (like 00506 08780...)
    -Or something the triggers it to draw from a back-upped memory during an update or something like that

After two years of dealing with it, I finally did a search to see if there was any prevention, and this was one of the few topics talking about it at all.
    It seems there's nothing that can be done but maintenance

To see what has filled in, First make sure you have the column for genre/comments/composers/album artist visible, then sort alphabetically in each field and delete ones you don't want.

It is a bit of a hassle but it does seem to happen less and less frequently each time.

Also on the left hand corner click on Edit->Preferences->Store
    Uncheck the option that automatically uploads Album Art (if it isn't already) this seemed to lower the occurrence for me, at least for the disappearing album art, but maybe it was a coincidence