iTunes copyin my music without telling me?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Philberttheduck, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

Well, before I made the switch I put my iTunes library on the external hd. then i transfered everything over to the iMac and it worked fine. then i realized that there was alot of space taken up for no good reason and i check out that my itunes copied my itunes from the external hd into my HD TWICE!?

I have the "copy all songs to iTunes" and "keep all songs organized" options checked but since when did it copy my external hd (which i keep it on every day) without authorizing with me? I noticed this with my Limewire, whenever a new song gets loaded I get the "Limewire" playlist and immidately gets copied into my iTunes folder. then i checked my itunes folder (internal) and there were two copies of every song i downloaded, yet just one of em are in my iTunes Library.

Is this normal for iTunes to be copying my External HD's music (iTunes folder) without telling me? It's really a waste of space in my hardrive (30 extra GB is a bitch to delete, especially when some are labeled "fjdslfjs 1.mp3" or "fdslkjf.mp3" or "01 fjdkfjdl.mp3" and you don't know which one is linked to your iTunes library)

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes, that is normal. Now you can delete the original copy if you wish, or leave it there as backup.

Shouln't mention LimeWire on these forums.

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

wow, i feel rather dumb, i didn't know those features existed :eek: . Thanks Philberttheduck for your inquiry, now my library's a bit more organized ;)

4. NicP macrumors 6502

why not? there are legal uses for LimeWire

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

completely normal, it takes a copy of all your music and neatly puts it in its own folder (whereever you assigned it). I personally don't like the feature so I uncheck it but when I first started using iTunes I ran into the same situation as yourself.

iPhoto also does this. Creates a library for every photo you view in it but I don't know of a way to turn that off.

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

But he mentioned downloading music through Limewire :rolleyes: