iTunes crashing when importing CDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rcm3, Nov 11, 2006.

1. rcm3 macrumors member

During the import process the drive makes audible chunk-chunk noises and tries to respin the disc but fails. The only way to stop it as far as I know is to force quit iTunes.

This has happened on 2 of 6 CDs so far. I've tried lowering the bit rate. If I try again on the same CD, the same thing happens at the same point of the import process. It happens at a different time on the different CDs.

Are my CDs too damaged to import? And why would this be causing the program to crash.

I'm pretty new to the mac world so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It really sounds like a disc problem. Do you have a brand new unscratched CD you can test? If you play these discs without importing, do they screw up at about the same point? Do you have Error Correction checked in the Advanced Burning pane of iTunes' Preferences? :)

3. jan08 macrumors regular

I've had this when ripping my discs. Its just scratched discs in my case, so thats what I'd guess it'll be for you

4. rcm3 thread starter macrumors member

The idea that the scratched discs are the root of the problem makes sense..

But the fact that it causes iTunes to crash is pathetic.

Hopefully they patch this issue soon because there is no way for me to know ahead of time whether a disc is 'rippable'.

For now I guess I'll just steal the music from the CDs that iTunes is too incompitent to handle.

Thanks for your help!