Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axeltomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
For some time now, when listening to music on iPod, some songs are cut of short. (The song just stops playing and moves on to the next one).

At first I thought the file was corrupt or something. But when cheking the song on iTunes the file was all there. However I did notice that the song total time was shorter than reality. Only upon double-clicking the song to play would the total time be corrected.

Even though I have a Mac, I'm using a PC with Windows to syncronize songs (itunes-ipod).

I've regularly updated itunes and ipod software.

"Stop time" and "Start Time" in the options tab of the song info panel were not checked and so the problem isn't from here.

Any ideas why this happens? I've searched the forums and didn't find similar references.

While I'm at it what exactly happens if the checkbox of "Remember playback position" is cheked in the "options" tab of a song info panel?

Thanks in advance for any help.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Maybe try turning off the Crossfade Playback in the iTunes Preferences (under the Playback pane). Somehow this feature was messing with my iPod in the same way, which is strange.

axeltomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
That might just be it. It so happens that I have that option checked. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
Actually, this has been happening with my iPods, former (3G) and current (5G)! I have crossfade turned off in iTunes (hate that feature), so I know it's not that. A song will just stop! Wonder if this is a iTunes/iPod software glitch?

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
sounds as if the tags are incorrect. try dragging the song from itunes to the desktop, erase it from itunes, then reimport it. perhaps reimporting in another format or bitrate may help. let us know.

ShavenYak

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
axeltomas said:
However I did notice that the song total time was shorter than reality. Only upon double-clicking the song to play would the total time be corrected.

Ah hah. I have a similar problem with a few files. I may need to look at what iTunes says about the song length. I'll report back with my findings....

axeltomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
Crossfade Palyback has nothing to do with it

mad jew said:
Maybe try turning off the Crossfade Playback in the iTunes Preferences (under the Playback pane). Somehow this feature was messing with my iPod in the same way, which is strange.

I tried this approach and the same thing has happened. Apparently iTunes just changes the total length time of some songs. If you try palying the songs in iTunes there will be no problem because before iTunes starts to play a song with such a problem it somehow detects it and corrects the total length time.

The problem is qhen one syncronizes the iPod with songs with this problem in the iTunes library. The iPod then just assumes the song is shorter and cuts it off.

axeltomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
leodavinci0 said:
sounds as if the tags are incorrect. try dragging the song from itunes to the desktop, erase it from itunes, then reimport it. perhaps reimporting in another format or bitrate may help. let us know.

Not a solution either.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
I'm having this problem with my iPod as well. It's a 4G 20GB formated for Windows but only used (for music) on my Mac. I have about 1400 songs on it and there's about 10 at any one time that are shorter, though when I cross reference them with the songs on my iMac (iTunes) they're the normal length and when I plug in my iPod to recharge it, those 'corrupt' files get updated (and usually fixed) whereas others get updated as well and usually corrupted (the updating occurs even though I haven't added any songs to my iTunes for months). Don't know what it is, seems like no one does right now :p but hopefully someone will come up with something to fix it.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
Count me in as having similiar weirdness as neocell. I haven't always been diligent about checking the songs on my iTunes music library after it occurs, but usually it just seems corrupt on the iPod and not on my machine. I too have a 4G 20 gig iPod and it's formatted for Windows and synced only w/my Windows box.

axeltomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
cwerdna said:
Count me in as having similiar weirdness as neocell. I haven't always been diligent about checking the songs on my iTunes music library after it occurs, but usually it just seems corrupt on the iPod and not on my machine. I too have a 4G 20 gig iPod and it's formatted for Windows and synced only w/my Windows box.

That is my case as well (4G 20Gb iPod, music only, Windows formated). But I really think the problem is in iTunes and not in the iPod. Although songs are only cut short in the iPod, if you go to iTunes and check those songs, you will notice that the total length time isn't correct (it gets corrected if you play the song in iTunes).

This "feature" is really annoying. Nothing like cutting of one of your favorite songs. If anyone has a solution, please share before I go nuts!!

multig

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
When this happens to me, I change the name of the song in iTunes (one character is ehough). The next time I sychronize my iPod, the truncated song is updated with a full version of the song.

The only, minor, downside is that you have to change the name back again, to the correct one, and synchronize the iPod once more. If it's important that the song has the right name, and it sure is to me :)

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Even though I have a Mac, I'm using a PC with Windows to syncronize songs (itunes-ipod).

Hmmmm......could THAT be your problem?

Sorry, I had to go there.
I used to run my iPod off my Windows machine and had TONS of problems with the device. Ever since I switched to synching to a Mac, 99% of the problems are toast.

Is there any specific reason you HAVE to have your iTunes library on a WinDoze machine? (yick, I even get queezy just typing that word!)

OGFD

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
For some time now, when listening to music on iPod, some songs are cut of short. (The song just stops playing and moves on to the next one).

At first I thought the file was corrupt or something. But when cheking the song on iTunes the file was all there. However I did notice that the song total time was shorter than reality. Only upon double-clicking the song to play would the total time be corrected.

I've regularly updated itunes and ipod software.

"Stop time" and "Start Time" in the options tab of the song info panel were not checked and so the problem isn't from here.

Any ideas why this happens? I've searched the forums and didn't find similar references.

While I'm at it what exactly happens if the checkbox of "Remember playback position" is cheked in the "options" tab of a song info panel?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Has anyone wound a solution to this yet? I have a number of songs this happens with; iTunes shows an incorrect (shorter) song length, but when played thru iTunes, the song continues to play in it's entirety, even tho time remaining show 0:00. But, when played thru iPod, the song stops at the incorrect, shorter time. I tried changiing the 'end track' time to the correct time, but iTunes would not accept the change.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

OGFD

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Has anyone wound a solution to this yet? I have a number of songs this happens with; iTunes shows an incorrect (shorter) song length, but when played thru iTunes, the song continues to play in it's entirety, even tho time remaining show 0:00. But, when played thru iPod, the song stops at the incorrect, shorter time. I tried changiing the 'end track' time to the correct time, but iTunes would not accept the change.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well, this sucks. Talking with iTunes tech support, all they want to know is if the song was purchased thru Apple It wasn't. They say they can't support it then.
When I explain iTunes is truncating song lengths, they simply say if you didn't purchase the song thru them, too bad.
I explained the song was recorded from vinyl (oh....weren't those made a long time ago...I've never seen one)...and converted to MP3. They don't understand, or care, that the song properties indicate the correct length, as does the song metafile. They then told me iTunes does not have the ability to change info such as song length. Yet, it does, I see it right in front of me.
Has anyone found a solution to this?

pictureman2

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Itunes song cropping fix

I have the latest iTunes and an iPod classic and was having some of the songs cut off at the end. The problem was in iTunes, that's where the song was cut off. I deleted the song and re-imported it but got the same crap. Then I went to Edit/prefs/ advanced and checked the "Use error correction when reading audio cd's" and re-imported the song and snap the problem was solved. Ooops,I forgot one thing, it's in the importing tab.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
It could be that the music files are corrupted. I had this problem last night--I took a song that was stopping half way through and opened it with Quicktime. While the song would play to the end in Quicktime there was these high pitched glitch sounds every 10-30 seconds. Something was definitely wrong with the file.

If you're downloading your music, chances are this is the problem - the file is corrupted.

OGFD

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
I have the latest iTunes and an iPod classic and was having some of the songs cut off at the end. The problem was in iTunes, that's where the song was cut off. I deleted the song and re-imported it but got the same crap. Then I went to Edit/prefs/ advanced and checked the "Use error correction when reading audio cd's" and re-imported the song and snap the problem was solved. Ooops,I forgot one thing, it's in the importing tab.

Thanks...tried it, and got the same result. The song plays correctly in WMP, and, shows the correct time. iTunes shows a shorter time, but still plays the full song. iPod plays the shorter song length, seemongly applied by iTunes.

Can I ask you to detail the process, to make sure I did it right?

Thank you.

pictureman2

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Hmmm, I tried it again this morning and it worked for me. Maybe it only works if your importing from a cd. But here ya go. I opened iTunes and went to Edit/prefs/ advanced and in the importing tab checked the "Use error correction when reading audio cd's". Then I went to the song that was short. I deleted it. I then re-imported it from the cd and it was fixed. When I was trying to fix it yesterday, I saw that when the song was first imported the time was fine, it was when I ejected the cd and iTunes was converting it to the mp4 that the time was cut short. I hope this helps. It was driving me nuts yesterday. So far, all the songs I have had trouble with are the last songs of the album. It was cutting 4-5 seconds off the end of the song.

John

OGFD

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Hmmm, I tried it again this morning and it worked for me. Maybe it only works if your importing from a cd. But here ya go. I opened iTunes and went to Edit/prefs/ advanced and in the importing tab checked the "Use error correction when reading audio cd's". Then I went to the song that was short. I deleted it. I then re-imported it from the cd and it was fixed. When I was trying to fix it yesterday, I saw that when the song was first imported the time was fine, it was when I ejected the cd and iTunes was converting it to the mp4 that the time was cut short. I hope this helps. It was driving me nuts yesterday. So far, all the songs I have had trouble with are the last songs of the album. It was cutting 4-5 seconds off the end of the song.

John

Ok, thanks. My situation is a little different, this is a song that I recorded from vinyl to a wav file, then converted to mp3. The tag, or metadata file shows the correct song length. If you view properties for the song file, it shows the correct song length. Only in iTunes does the song length change to a shorter length, (from 3:59 to 3:12). iTunes will play the song in it's entirety. iPod playback cuts it short at 3:12. Playback in WMP is correct.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

OGFD

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Hmmm, will it work if manually drag it into your iPod?

Nope. I even dragged a copy of the song that was in an external drive, before I had an iPod, that was a backup of my music. That song file has never been in contact with anything 'i'.

It shows correct time, etc. etc. The minute I drag it into iTunes, the incorrect time is shown.

I know there are a significant number of songs on my iPod that do this. Any other suggestions gratefully appreciated.

OGFD

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Still happening....

iTunes cropping of songs is even more pervasive; not only with songs I recorded from vinyl into .wav format, and converted to .mps (using Smart Audio Converter) software, but also with songs downloaded (not from iTunes).

Song tag shows correct song length.
Song, while being played with Windows Media Player shows correct song length, and plays ccorrect song length.
Song in iTunes shows incorrect, (shorter) song length.
Song, while being played in iTues, shows incorrect (shorter) song length, but plays song in it's entirety.
Song, in iPod, shows incorrect *shorter) song length, and plays song only the shorter time, and cuts off at that time, not playing the entire song.
Apple tech support refuses to helpm saying they only support songs purchased thru iStore.

This does not happen with all my songs, but, with a significant number of them.

I have tried all the previously posted suggestions on this thread, none of them have worked. Any other solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

pictureman2

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Dang, I can't think of anything else. Maybe copy and paste into the ipod. I don't even know if that can be done. Not to be a smart guy or anything, but can you get the song off a cd?

JB

Rangdrol

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
iTunes Cropping Songs...

Strange this just happened to me yesterday...What I did, today, after reading your fixes, suggestions, which did not help...was to go into my Hard Drive>Library>Preferences and i deleted the com.apple.iTunes.plist.

This took me back to an original preferences list that is already on my computer, and it fixed the problem. It didnt erase my songs, and it only took like 30 mins to refresh, well worth the time and effort. Hope this helps you guys out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.