iTunes current track unrated, message box apepars?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mechcozmo, May 30, 2005.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The title is what I want to do.

I'd like to find an app (or if someone here is really generous, they could write it) that runs in the background and if the current playing track in iTunes isn't rated, it displays a box that allows you to switch to iTunes and rate it. Or set the rating in the box, I'm not too picky. But I have a lot of songs that are unrated and I'd like to rate them. If that box showed up then I'd be more likely to, but it would have to be unobtrusive... like iChat's alerts when you have an incoming message.

Does anyone know of an application like that, or do they have the skills to quickly write one up? Thanks!

2. swheeler macrumors member

I have a program called Synergy, which shows a transparent floater at the start of each song. It will show you what the rating is (including no rating) and you can set hotkeys to rate songs (such as cmd-shift-up to increase by one star, or cmd-ctrl-3 to set to 3 stars). It has a lot of other cool features too.

download here

3. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Wow thanks for that swheeler. I've been after something like that for a while, I didnt think anything exsisted. Now I dont have to keep iRate widget always on my desktop!

4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I use the free ByteController to controll play and track skipping with iTunes.

Growl and Quicksilver are the top (also free) apps i use for even more controll.
    Growl has a plugin GrowlTunes. It has a nice notification method to warn you when eg a new track is playing (Track name, artist, cd, rating). The plugin comes with a few applescripts to rate the songs.
    These applescripts have been set up as triggers in quicksilver, not exactly what you want but this works for me, you really should check this combo out. Maybe you find something in these packages that does exactly what you need.

This is my iTunes Controll Combo setup
    • Bytecontroller:
      ctrl - command - space: play/pause
      ctrl - command - right: next track
      ctrl - command - left: previous track
    • Quicksilver:
      F1: browse library by song (default action is play next in party shuffle)
      F2: browse library by artist (same default action)
    • Quicksilver and GrowlTunes (music video style):
      ctrl - command - *: Show current song info (track name, artist, cd, rating)
      ctrl - command - (0 - 5): rate this song this ammount of stars

Bytecontroller
    Growl
    Quicksilver