iTunes Damaged Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elliotay, Sep 3, 2004.

1. elliotay macrumors regular

So I opened up iTunes last night and for no particular reason it started thinking about my Library and had a tiny window pop up saying it was scanning the Library or something. Then it finished and told me my Library file was damaged. iTunes continued to open up and now it only has maybe a tenth of my songs in and NONE of my playlists. I went to the user/music/itunes/ folder and there's several Library files and a bunch of Temp Files. There's iTunes 4 Music Library, iTunes 4 Music Library (Damaged), iTunes Library (Old) and iTunes Music Library.xml I still have all of my music files, but I'd really love to be able to get my playlists back and not just drag all my files onto iTunes and do it over again. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

you .xml file was damaged. iTunes Music Library.xml is where your ratings, paly counts, last played, etc. are stored and if the .xml file is damaged, there is no way of recovery, unless you have a backup.

What I suggest to prevent this is about once every 2-3 weeks you right click on the .xml file and select 'Create Archive'. And if for some reason this problem happens again you can used the .xml archive to restore you play counts