iTunes DEauthorization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by laytonhayes, Feb 20, 2004.

1. laytonhayes macrumors member

laytonhayes

I recently sold my old iBook on eBay and forgot to deauthorize iTunes before shipping. I have three computers and can only play purchased music on two of the comps because the iBook i sold is still on the list. Is there any way to deauthorize a computer you do not have access to? A specific iTunes website that list all of your authorized computers? Any help will be great.

2. brhmac macrumors regular

Have you tried apple.com

Here's the main support page for iTunes...

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

At the bottom of the page, toward the middle, is a link for Frequently Asked Questions. You can look for help there or send an e-mail outlining your situation to an Apple tech. It's free if you register, and you should hear back in 24 hours.

3. GraphicUmp macrumors member

Do what brhmac said, email them - I did the same thing (forgot to deauthorize), emailed them and got back a cool response in less than 24 hours, to the effect that there is no way for you to deauthorize a computer you no longer have, but we'll do it for you this time.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

a friendly reminder to everyone that before you sell a computer, you must zero all disk data, then reinstall from the CDs. keeps things like this from happening-- i wonder how much other data was on that machine?

paul

5. laytonhayes thread starter macrumors member

laytonhayes

Apple just replied, they deauthorized all of my comps. I did zero out the HD before I sold it, I always make sure to do that before I sell a comp/HD. Thanks for all of your help, now I can play my music on all my comps.

6. GraphicUmp macrumors member

Zeroing out the hard drive has nothing to do with deauthorizing a computer for iTunes. Absolutely nothing. It isn't a file stored on your hard drive that allows you to play purchased music; it's the logic board ID that is stored in the iTMS. So even if you are sending your computer back to Apple to get the logic board replaced (or even a possibility of replacement) you should deauthorize first.